Women’s Tennis tramples Colorado State Rams

(Nolan Motis/Daily Titan Stock Photo)
(Nolan Motis/Daily Titan Stock Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team (12-2 overall, 3-0 Big West), flexed its muscles Tuesday, defeating the reeling Colorado State Rams 7-0 and winning their 12th match of the season.

The Titans, were coming off a bounce-back win against Montana State in Nevada. In Tuesday’s match, the Titans played up to their potential and jumped on the Rams early.

Fullerton’s first point of the day was earned in doubles play, where it took the advantage by winning the first two matches.

The duo of freshman Sarah Nuno and sophomore Danielle Pham kicked the afternoon off with an impressive 6-1 win over Caroline Henderson and Maddie Buxton.
Freshmen sensations Masako Makiba and Karla Portalatin finished things off for the Titans, earning the doubles point with a 6-3 victory over Emily Kolbow and Celine Voss.

With doubles play completed, the Titans looked to their co-captain and No. 1 seed Alexis Valenzuela to set the tone for singles play.

Returning to singles play after a one-match absence, Valenzuela’s performance was one of the best of the season. She defeated Kolbow 6-0, 6-0, displaying an impressive arsenal of shots that left her opponent helpless.

Nuno also showed her prowess, playing in the No. 2 singles spot as she dismantled Buxton by scores of 6-0, 6-2.

The Titans continued to roll in singles as Portalatin edged Aina Hernandez Soler 6-3, 7-6. Teammates De Leon and Makiba also got in on the action, each claiming a victory with scores of 6-3, 6-1 and 6-4, 6-2, respectively.

Being that the Rams had no player to fill in for the No. 6 seed, Pham won her match by default, giving the Titans the sweep on the day.

With the way CSUF is performing this season, the Titans pose a real threat for the Big West Conference title, which would be their first in school history.

“We are pretty optimistic,” said Head Coach Dianne Matias. “That’s the main goal. We have a good shot as long as everyone stays healthy.”

The Titans face stiff competition at home against the University of Wyoming Cowgirls (7-7 overall) on Wednesday. Fullerton has lost the last six meetings between both teams, including last year’s 5-2 loss.

Matias knows her team must remain focused and is aware of the danger the Cowgirls pose.

“Tomorrow, we need to be ready,” she said. “We’ve played Wyoming the past couple of years and they are a strong team. We need to come out with a lot of energy and just be willing to stay out here as long as we need to.”

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out