ASI Environmental Sustainability Committee plans activities for Earth Week

Emerolina Cantu, director of the Committee on Environmental Sustainability, spoke about the effect plastic bottles have on the environment and suggested students consider using reusable water bottles.  (Katie Albertson / Daily Titan)
Emerolina Cantu, director of the Committee on Environmental Sustainability, spoke about the effect plastic bottles have on the environment and suggested students consider using reusable water bottles.
Associated Students, Inc. discussed ways to educate people about sustainability problems and solutions during Thursday’s Environmental Sustainability committee meeting regarding Earth Week.

Members of the committee discussed preliminary plans, which included setting up two tables, one as a recycling information booth and the second as a do-it-yourself (DIY) table, said Monserrat Villalpando, communications and programming coordinator for the Environmental Sustainability committee.

Some of the DIY ideas discussed at the meeting were decorating flower pots or painting T-shirts with natural dyes.

Students who participate in a DIY activity and receive information from the recycling booth will get a free, eco-friendly glass bottle. The various Earth Week activities will provide a total of 200 resuable bottles for those who participate.

Inspired by a “bring your own bottle” campaign at CSU Chico, Emerolina Cantu, director of the Committee on Environmental Sustainability, provided the attendees with facts on how plastic bottles affect the environment, what they are made of and the amount of energy it takes to make them. Instead of buying bottled water, Cantu suggested students should bring reusable bottles from home.

“We are encouraging bring your own bottle: ‘BYOB,’” Cantu said.

The committee’s goal is to bring awareness to students about becoming eco-friendly.

“Our number-one focus is for the students and to have them be aware of what we are doing to the Earth,” Villalpando said.

The Environmental Sustainability Committee focuses on two main events: Earth Week during spring and “Seeds for Change” in the fall, Villalpando said.

This year, the committee focused on giving out reusable water bottles, Villalpando said.

“We were so worried about the drought in California. We wanted students to be aware of that, as well as plastic. We see a lot of plastic being used,” Villalpando said. “Our campaign this year was reducing the bottled water waste and reducing water use.”

Earth Week activities at CSUF will be held from April 19 to 21. More clubs and organizations plan to collaborate during this week, including student organizations and staff and university divisions and departments, according to the CSUF Center for Sustainability website.