Bernie Sanders has maintained a consistent political message throughout his career

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders has been a political activist for over 50 years and has kept his views intact since his college days. Politicians have made a trend of waning from their platforms, yet Sanders has remained grounded in his beliefs. (Natalie Goldstein / Daily Titan)
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders has been a political activist for over 50 years and has kept his views intact since his college days. Politicians have made a trend of waning from their platforms, yet Sanders has remained grounded in his beliefs.
(Natalie Goldstein / Daily Titan)

The discussion between pro-life and pro-choice seemingly has no middle ground, and it’s been a point of emphasis for the candidates in this year’s election cycle. Although most candidates have skirted the line on the issue, there’s been one that has given the country the decency of staying consistent.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders reaffirmed his strong liberal, pro-choice position on Sunday’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” debate and demonstrated why he’s the most capable candidate to lead the nation.

When questioned about his stance on abortion, the 74-year-old Democrat stuck to his guns.

“I think that decision ultimately has got to be made by the woman,” Sanders said. “I have a 100 percent pro-choice voting record throughout my career. That decision must be made by the woman, must be made by her family and her physician, not by the federal government, not by the state government.”

As far back as 1993, Sanders and others spearheaded the Freedom of Choice Act, which allows women to bypass state restrictions and terminate a pregnancy if the pregnancy posed a threat to her life.

Sanders advocates a right for women to decide what to do with their bodies by preventing the government from having any affiliation or influence in the decision, be it punishment for or prohibiting abortion.

Reproductive freedom should be a natural-given right for all women. The scope of government should not be big enough to interfere with personal decisions and judgments.

“If elected president, I will not only fight to protect Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to choose, I will take on the Scott Walkers of the world and the other right-wing governors who are trying to restrict and limit that right,” Sanders said.

Pro-life Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed a legislation in 2015 making it a felony to conduct abortions after 20 weeks, with the exception of avoiding imminent danger to the mother. It does not account for instances of rape, incest or the health of the mother.

Sanders has rightfully challenged all opponents throughout his career in order to shed light upon the issue. The other flip-flopping candidates prove to show that their stance on the issue is not a personal drive, but merely an appeal to the crowd.

“At this moment the laws are set. And I think we have to leave it that way,” Donald Trump said to CBS News.

The leading Republican candidate tried to play the neutral side of the issue after getting heavily criticized for his previous statements regarding punishments for abortion.

The topic of abortion has uncovered the frailty of political platforms with a notable exception. Thus far, Sanders has stuck to his views and continues to fight for what he believes is right. It is a time for change to give power to the citizen and reduce the pull of an overbearing government.