CSUF to host event for Guinness World Record for most organ transplant recipients in one place

In Campus News, Local News, News
courtesyofWikimedia_std
Courtesy of Wikimedia

As part of the 14th annual Donate Life Run/Walk festival, participants will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the “largest gathering of organ transplant recipients” on Saturday, April 30 at Cal State Fullerton.

The non-competitive 5K/1K Run/Walk celebrates the final days of National Donate Life Month and aims to raise awareness regarding organ and tissue donation. The event seeks to inspire the surrounding communities and benefit the OneLegacy Foundation.

While anyone can sign up to take part in the run/walk, only verified transplant recipients can participate in the Guinness World Record challenge.

The nonprofit OneLegacy Foundation is dedicated to saving the lives of individuals in need of organ, eye or other tissue donations and serves 215 hospitals and 11 transplant centers within the greater Los Angeles County area.

“We just want to show people who are currently waiting for a lifesaving transplant that there is hope,” said Kathleen Hostert, Donate Life Run/Walk executive director. “And it’s an opportunity for the transplant recipients that are attending the Guinness challenge to give back and pay it forward for the gift that they’ve been given.”

Twelve thousand participants are expected to attend the event, which will feature performances from American male R&B/pop group All-4-One, former American Idol and two-time kidney recipient Scott MacIntyre and Trevin Hunte, a fourth runner-up contestant from The Voice.

Civil officials expected to attend include 29th District Sen. Bob Huff and mayors from cities such as Huntington Beach, La Puente and Laguna Woods.

CSUF students are encouraged to attend and be a part of history as the attempt to break the record is made. Attendees will be able to sign up and register on site to become organ and tissue donors. They will also be able to make a financial donation to OneLegacy.

Transplant recipients interested in helping break the record must obtain a note from their doctor/transplant center confirming that they have received an organ transplant.

Check-in for the Guinness World Record challenge begins at 6:30 a.m. for recipients, and regular registration begins at 7 a.m. Opening ceremonies will start at approximately 8:15 a.m. and the race/walk formally starts at 9 a.m.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus