Mihaylo Career Services will hold a workshop to teach students how to negotiate wages and benefits

Mihaylo Career Services aims to connect students with recruiters and to teach the skills necessary to make a good wage.
(Yanuen Bonaparte / Daily Titan)

Mihaylo Career Services is hosting a salary negotiation workshop in order to help students prepare to enter their respective careers.

The workshop plans to focus on connecting students with recruiters, researching companies prior to the interview process and adequately preparing to attend a career fair.

The goal of the seminar will be to instill the confidence, knowledge and skills necessary for students to negotiate favorable salaries and benefits as they prepare to enter the workforce.

“We like to make it fun. It’s a mix of teaching students how to budget their money and helping them understand how much they need to negotiate for while being able to research what their value is worth,” said Zoe Sullivan, graduate career adviser and speaker for the event.

Sullivan said that many students are simply eager to receive job offers after graduation and may miss out on critical opportunities to negotiate wages and benefits.

“(Students) forget about the fact that they’re in a position where they can actually negotiate their salary,” Sullivan said. “Especially with the way that the market is going right now, it’s more of a buyer’s market for students and people that are on the job search.”

There are more jobs now because of the amount of baby boomers who are retiring, Sullivan said.

“It kind of ups your value a little bit in terms of being able to have more of that market share,” she said.

Mihaylo Career Services’ mission is to “cultivate relationships with Mihaylo College of Business and Economics students, faculty, clubs, alumni and the business community to advance career opportunities for Mihaylo students and prepare them to be ‘ready to work, ready to lead,’” according to its website.

The center aids students in the transition from college to their careers by providing the resources necessary to explore career options, helping students develop a personal “brand” and aiding in formulating a strategic plan of action in order for students to land jobs.

The workshop will take place Tuesday, April 26 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. It is open to all Mihaylo undergraduate students who are interested. RSVPs may be made on the Mihaylo Career Services website in the events calendar.

CSUF and CSUB tip off from Titan Gym.

Titans’ second half surge not enough in first round of CIT

The chapter of Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball, where the backcourt duo of Kyle Allman Jr. and Khalil Ahmad

Multilevel marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the