Military draft should be open to all genders

The United States military has made a lot of progress recently with gender integration, but it is time to take it a step further. Women now have the ability to enlist, but they should also be required to register for the draft when they turn 18, just as their male counterparts have been required to do since 1942.

Several military personnel, including Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley, have voted in favor for allowing women to register at the age of 18 during a recent Senate meeting, according to CNN. Along with the general, several candidates in the Republican presidential race have also approved of the law.

Though gender equality is a very important issue in society, the notion of having each and every woman required to registered at the age of 18 brings some controversy regarding women’s eligibility and ability to perform.

A common argument for those in favor of women entering the draft is patriotism. Every American should have equal right to serve regardless of gender.

Antiquated beliefs dictate that women entering the draft will weaken the military and its training standards. Further, drafting women is a bad idea because of a high risk of injury, expense and an increase in casualties in combat situations.

“I use the analogy of a football team. You look at a football team, and cheerleaders if they institute the draft for females, a cheerleader’s just as likely to be drafted as a linebacker. Which is more suitable to defend our country?” said Brian Aiken, a Ted Cruz supporter, to the Washington Times.

Physicality is one of the major required assets of being in the military, however, some people are born with natural physical ability. Women can be born with strong physicality, and therefore qualify to have their spot in the military.

There have been other risks with integrated combat units including efficiency, morale, cohesion, military readiness, tradition, abuse by the enemy and career advancement.

These cons, however, are counteracted by the fact that mixed gender forces have kept the military strong with more willing recruits thanks to a wider applicant pool, according to “Sisters In Arms,” a pro-military integration documentary.

Physical traits or physiological issues with women doesn’t matter, what is important is if she is willing put her life on the line to protect her country. All countries want a war to end quickly, and having greater military personnel can help do that.

The opportunity to integrate women into military units has been seen as an opportunity to revise the culture and structure of the armed forces for increased effectiveness in contemporary warfare.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind

One commentOn Military draft should be open to all genders

• Teddy Edwards

Why should we shoot ourselves in the foot by assigning women to combat merely because a few exceptional women “can meet the minimum requirements”?

Even when they “meet the minimum requirements” for military service, women are injured at twice the rate of men, just as female athletes in high school and college sports suffer much higher rates of injury. The higher injury rate for women is one reason why a Marine Corps study found that all-male teams outperformed mixed gender units on a wide range of tasks.

Yes, women can fight hard against enemy attackers, but it takes real men, backed up by unit cohesion, to say “Let’s go get him” and initiate the fight against armed enemies. There is no evidence that women are the equals of men in actual combat.

When my mother was asleep in bed with her late husband and she heard a noise downstairs that sounded like someone was breaking into the house, her husband didn’t say “Honey, why don’t you go downstairs and check out that noise?” Her husband did the manly thing and went downstairs himself.

Yes, women can pass many tests for strength needed for combat, but there are no tests to find out who will say “Let’s go kill a vicious enemy soldier bent on killing you any way he can.” We have plenty of evidence that men can and will walk into that kind of peril to save their buddies.

The naive premise that women can perform in combat to the same standards as men was refuted by retiring Marine General John F. Kelly, the outgoing commander of U.S. Southern Command. In his final briefing, General Kelly warned of the coming “pressure to lower standards, because that’s the only way it’ll work in the way that the agenda-driven people want it to work.”

When it turns out that few — if any — women are actually serving in combat units, General Kelly predicted, “the question will be asked why aren’t they staying, why aren’t they advancing as infantry people? The answer is if we don’t change the standards, it will be very, very difficult to have any real numbers.”

Senator Ted Cruz was not allowed to speak on this topic in the debate, but he wisely unloaded the following day. “It was striking that three different people on that stage came out in support of drafting women into combat in the military,” Cruz said. “I have to admit, as I was sitting there listening to that conversation, my reaction was: Are you guys nuts?”

“We have had enough with political correctness, especially in the military,” Cruz said to loud applause. “The idea that we would draft our daughters, to forcibly bring them into the military and put them in close combat, I think is wrong, it is immoral, and if I am president, we ain’t doing it.”