2016 Spring Concert lineup electrifies stage for an unforgettable night

In Arts & Entertainment, Multimedia, Music, Top Stories

(Patrick Do / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton students turned up one last time at Saturday’s Spring Concert before the mania of finals and graduation invades campus.

Seven thousand Titans swarmed the Intramural Fields for Associated Students, Inc.’s most anticipated event of the year. With the biggest crowd the concert has ever seen, expectations were the highest they’ve ever been. Last year’s Spring Concert was the first to feature a festival-like atmosphere. This year’s Spring Concert sought to continue with the same ambiance.

“There’s nothing much new compared to last year, but we’re still having an amazing show,” said Spring Concert Coordinator Brian Miles Garibay. “We don’t often have EDM artists, so we’re happy to serve that crowd.”

This year’s lineup showcased diverse performances from 200 West and DJ Austo to rap duo Rae Sremmurd and electronic DJ and producer Porter Robinson. “Hip hop has been something that we’ve done all along, so I just really wanted to break the streak with that,” Garibay said.

Approximately, less than 7,000 tickets were sold for this year’s concert, which accounted for 85 percent of the tickets available, compared to the 4,000 sold last year, Garibay said.

Attractions were scattered throughout the field, including a few activities from last year’s show that made a comeback, such as the crowd-favorite reptiles and puppies petting stations, a ferris wheel and food trucks. Reptiles and Puppies for Parties brought a variety of irresistibly cute breeds of puppies for students to play with such as Maltese, Yorkies and Shih Tzus, though the most impressive was the selection of reptiles that students were able to hold. Reptiles and Puppies for Parties worker Rebecca Bartel said the organization brought a giant cicada tortoise, a box turtle, a giant African sulcata tortoise, king snakes, boa constrictors and pythons.

Adjacent to the reptiles and puppies, students checked out new attractions such as a henna tattoo station with an artist creating exquisite designs on students’ hands, a caricature artist sketching portraits of students and a tent selling Porter Robinson merchandise.

The winner of Battle of the Bands 2016, 200 West, kicked off the concert with an energetic and diverse set. The five-member group includes Jon on lead vocals and guitar, Adam on drums, CSUF alum Noah on bass and business and entrepreneur student Greg, alongside Greg’s brother Chris on vocals and guitar.

“We’re trying to reinvent the rock ‘n’ roll scene with the influence of rap, influence of the reggae, influence of the jazz; we’re trying to just have some fun playing some good music up there,” Greg said.

200 West fuses different influences that each band member brings to the table, creating a singular sound, Adam said. The band performed multiple songs off their album, “The Collective,” such as “Devil’s Water,” “Lonely” and “Cut Loose.” The band mixed things up by performing covers of songs by Outkast and Bob Marley, highlighting its versatility.

“We tried to throw in a little vibe of what we were influenced by. We are a rock band, but we throw in a little Outkast just to throw it off … just to say ‘Yeah we love this s—, too,’” Adam said.

DJ Austo, winner of 2016’s Battle of the DJs, kept the hype going by performing a high-energy mix of trap and bass with rap music, which created a lively set, before closing with a bass-house remix of Backstreet Boys.

Hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd jumped on stage, ready to give CSUF an unforgettable show. The duo began the set with “Start a Party,” setting the vibe for a high-energy show. Using the whole stage, the duo rocked out, leaping from one side of the stage to the other, showing that they really knew how to start a party. The whole crowd sang along and jammed to popular hits like “No Flex Zone,” “Come Get Her,” “No Type” and “Throw Some Mo’.”

Closing out the concert, EDM DJ Porter Robinson graced the turntables, giving students an electrifying set. Robinson’s set featured visual effects that maximized the EDM experience with carbon dioxide cannons, smoke machines and a giant LED screen displaying vibrant and lush colors of pixelated graphics, video game worlds, anime and symmetric geometry, all of which took the crowd on a trip into Robinson’s world.

Robinson played songs from his debut album “Worlds,” such as “Divinity,” “Sad Machine” and “Years of War.” Robinson transcended the night with his insane bass drops and euphoric sounds, leaving students amazed at the sounds bursting from out the speakers.

The show was a true success with an amazing lineup, free food and attractions and arguably the best Spring Concert that CSUF has ever seen.

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs