Contract reveals Spring Concert rappers’ requests

In the contract between Associated Students, Inc., and Spring Concert headliners Rae Sremmurd, the hip-hop duo requested various food products and toys be delivered to their dressing room.
(Patrick Do / Daily Titan)

What does it take to book an artist for Cal State Fullerton’s Spring Concert?

In the case of Spring Concert 2016 co-headliners Rae Sremmurd, it takes $70,000, “almost dangerous” levels of music, plus an assortment of food, drinks and trinkets.

Through a California public records request, the Daily Titan was able to obtain a copy of the contract between Rae Sremmurd’s representatives and Associated Students, Inc. The contract revealed, among other things, that the hip-hop group is set to play 60 minutes of preferably non-explicit music in order to receive payment.

[pdf]http://www.dailytitan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Rae-Sremmurd-Fully-executed-Contract-5-7-16-Fullerton-CA-1.pdf[/pdf]

(View the contract here)

The total cost for this year’s Spring Concert will be $389,000, the same cost as 2015. And while Rae Sremmurd will be paid $70,000, co-headliner Porter Robinson will be paid $75,000, according to current ASI Spring Concert Coordinator Brian Miles Garibay.

Originally, ASI was allocated $216,000 to host the 2016 concert, said Dave Edwards, E.D., executive director of ASI. However, that figure was based on the money allocated for the 2014 iteration of Spring Concert, said Laura Romine, ASI’s vice president of finance.

In 2015, then-ASI Spring Concert Coordinator Shannon Franklin requested additional funds for the event. Because of that concert’s success, Romine said, the ASI Board of Directors wanted to double the attendance.

However, the ASI Finance Committee’s budgeting process ended even before the 2015 concert took place, leaving Garibay with a budget that would not have been enough to cover 2016 expenses, which now include costs like the increased security that is associated with doubling attendance to 8,000 people.

Current ticket sales are “above 80 percent,” Garibay said, though it is unclear whether or not sales will reach 100 percent by Saturday. The $2 increase of student ticket prices for this year’s concert is due to costs associated with selling tickets online, Garibay added.

As for Rae Sremmurd’s agreement with ASI, “No cursing, drug references or explicit language during in-between song banter. Radio edit version of songs is requested,” reads part of the contract.

Garibay said that he was “not sure” who requested that clause of the contract. The request, though, may have come about due to concerns for community members, Edwards said.

“Oftentimes you’ll have those types of clauses added to performances that are outside, especially where there might be community members present or near local communities because of children and whatnot,” he said.

Another part of the contract stipulates that contractual breaches are to be settled through arbitration in Orange County.

Last year, rapper Wiz Khalifa breached his contract when he canceled his Spring Concert appearance to instead perform on Saturday Night Live.

ASI, however, chose not to go through arbitration.

“It was pretty much dropped,” Garibay said. “We replaced the artist; we didn’t really lose much money.”

ASI partners with The Contract Agency, which is responsible for booking acts and finding replacement acts when needed, Garibay said. The agency receives payment equal to 10 percent of what is paid to each performer, he said.

Garibay said that Rae Sremmurd was chosen in part due to their live performances.

“We narrow down both of our artists, so we pick them based off of budget, availability and genre,” he said.

Students can look forward to “a lot of good crowd interactions” come Rae Sremmurd’s performance, Garibay said.