Letter to the Editor — In response to F.L.A.M.E. advertisement, Garland

In Letters to the Editor, Opinion

I’m guilty, I was skimming the paper as I was walking across campus yesterday morning — I almost fell off the curb as I came across the “paid advertisement” for Flame on the bottom right of page three — informing me that I “deserve a factual look at The Muslim Immigrant Question.” More of a short essay than the average advertisement, it goes on to offer “the facts” and openly questions how “we” should respond to Muslim immigrants.

Frankly, if we are to “respond” to them as we have others throughout our history (Irish, Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Vietnamese, to name a few), our immigrant Muslim sisters and brothers have quite the challenge ahead of them. But the intent of this letter is not to respond to the content of the ad, rather I take issue with the posting of the ad itself.

CSUF is a state-run university that, as I have been led to believe, prides itself on diversity and inclusiveness; evidenced by the numerous quotes, postings, articles and initiatives on various platforms by our president, administration, staff and faculty, as well as the Daily Titan team. Just a couple of months ago, I remember reading a wonderful DT article regarding our Muslim Student Association’s outreach efforts on TitanWalk. That is one reason why it was so alarming for me to come across this anti-Muslim rhetoric in our school newspaper. It is demonizing, divisive and in my opinion contributes to xenophobic attitudes so prevalent in today’s society. I can only imagine what it must be like to be a Muslim student and to see this in our school newspaper.

My initial response was to send an email — it was sent to ads at the Daily Titan, editor-in-chief of the Daily Titan, as well as news at the Daily Titan. A few hours later I received a cordial response from the DT’s director of advertising advising me that I could respond “directly to the nonprofit organization or through a letter to the editor.” I found this to be a curious reply; why would the director of advertising redirect my complaint regarding an advertisement? I do not ever remember seeing a ‘letter to the editor’ regarding an advertisement posted in the DT in the time I have been attending, confirmed by a review of two years’ of letters to the editor archived on DT’s website. Is this protocol?

Nevertheless, I do wish to express my objection to, and distaste for, the posting of this ad. As an institution that prides itself on diversity and inclusiveness, there is no place for divisive, vilifying rhetoric such as this on our campus. I do not wish to see this ad run again. Thank you.

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur