Snapchat should not be accountable for driver’s faults

Studies show Facebook has addictive element to it, but so far there has not been any recent harm done to users, according to 6ABC. On the other hand, the popular app Snapchat has come under fire regarding a filter that displays the current user’s physical speed, according to GeekWire.

A lawsuit has been placed on Snapchat for its implementation of this feature, but in reality, it seems that the problem lies with the user more than the app feature.

The problem comes down to what or who is at fault for these accidents. The lawsuit is attacking Snapchat’s cold attitude towards the incidents by saying they are just letting things happen without caring for the outcome.

“This is a product liability case because Snapchat put something very dangerous in the marketplace without any warnings or safeguards, and basically said, whatever happens, happens,” said T. Shane Peagler, an attorney behind the lawsuit against Snapchat, in a news release.

But the problem is coming from the people using these filters while driving. It’s clear that there is a problem with today’s drivers and being distracted.

Research conducted by AT&T shows that “Seven-in-10 people engage in smartphone activities while driving,” and “nearly four-in-10 smartphone users tap into social media while driving.”

The fact is clear, the root of these issues stems from the driver’s lack of focus.

1.6 million crashes each year are caused by cell phone use while driving, and nearly 330,000 injuries each year are caused by texting and driving at the same time, reported the National Safety Council.

The suggestion of banning the snapchat filter because users abuse it is absurd. It is almost like asking AT&T to ban texting since people cause accidents by driving and texting.

If companies were held accountable for problems their consumers create, then every motoring company would be in a lawsuit since everyone gets into accidents.

Along with the lawsuit, a petition is being called on for Snapchat to remove the mph filter from their app, but thus far there has been no response, and rightfully so. Also, the petition only has a mere 17 signs.

The argument is that Snapchat should have foreseen these dangers occurring since the nature of the filter points to instigation, but that’s asking the impossible.

The app creator has made enough of a statement for being against unsafe driving by clearly stating it in the terms of service: “So do not use our Services in a way that would distract you from obeying traffic or safety laws.”

Instead, the critics opposing the Snapchat filter needs to fight the main problem instead; tackle the drivers using cellphones while driving.

More advocates against the cell phone use while driving is needed in today’s society.

Insurance companies need some sort of incentive for all drivers to put their phones down while driving. Some sort of technology that requires the driver’s phone to be on a charging pad in order to drive could prove some use.

Snapchat should not be held responsible for the accidents. The problem lies within the users, not the companies involved in the accident.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a