Discoverfest aims to increase student invovement

The Cal State Fullerton semi-annual Discoverfest will usher in the fall semester by helping both returning and first-time students find new ways to get involved on campus and make connections with fellow Titans.

This year’s Discoverfest will be held at the campus’ Titan Walk Wednesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The two- day event this year will boast the highest number of registered student run organizations on record. Discoverfest acts as an opportunity for the 350 plus clubs and student-run organizations on campus to showcase their contributions to student life.

This year’s event will be the first opportunity for some clubs to represent themselves and attract attention. For veteran clubs, this week will be a status quo, but for one club, it’s one step closer to a major milestone.

“We’ve been around since 1968, next year will be our fiftieth year,” said Andrew Vo, President of the CSUF chapter of the Public Relations Society of America. “We just really want our new members to be involved, we know that being involved is important and really opens people up to being more comfortable and wanting to be on campus.”

While joining a major specific organization may seem intimidating to students of different majors, Vo said the events and networking opportunities offered through PRSSA are open to anyone of all majors and interests. He also encourages anyone not currently involved to join a society or club and to enjoy student life on campus.

For organizations such as Titan Radio, Discoverfest will allow them to focus on gaining new members and adding a fresh take onto an already existing community and culture.

“We’re trying to change Titan Radio’s image from being so clean cut to something a little bit more edgy,” said Andy Vasquez, Titan Radio’s program and music director.

The organization and its members are stepping up their efforts this semester to attract new talent through staff member meet and greets, games and a raffle offering students chances to win free concert tickets at their booth.

“We’re looking to take on about 15 DJ’s and hopefully about 20 street team members,” said Sara Kleinbart, General Manager of Titan Radio, “We’re planning to actually throw a huge function that day.”

Clubs who are brand new, trying to either reinvent themselves or recruit new people can now be easily accessed through the TitanLink database.

While it is not completely new, it is getting more attention this year by campus staff.

For a complete list of the over 350 clubs and organizations that will be at Discoverfest check out CSUF’s online database Fullerton.edu/titanlink

Three Titans in position for serve receive

CSUF volleyball hosts No. 15 Cal Poly SLO on Friday

CSUF volleyball will host reigning Big West champions and No. 15 Cal Poly SLO, according to the NCAA, on

Samantha McKenna battling for the ball

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer travels to University of San Diego before hosting University of Denver

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer (3-5-1) will finish its four-game road trip Sept. 21 at the University of San

A spread of fresh vegetables: strawberries, peppers, carrots, cilantro, and an apple.

Devil’s Advocate: Significant change begins with vegetarianism

Maintaining a vegetarian diet is better for the environment, people’s health and a more ethical way to live, even