CSUF prepares for four games in three days

Women’s volleyball to host the Quality Inn Classic.  (Gretchen Davey/ Daily Titan Stock Photo)
Women’s volleyball to host the Quality Inn Classic.

(Gretchen Davey/ Daily Titan Stock Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team will look to bounce back this weekend after dropping two out of three games at the Grand Canyon Classic.

A victory over Grand Canyon University in their final game of the weekend ended a four-game losing streak for the Titans. CSUF will now look to carry its momentum into this weekend’s matches.

Transfer standouts, Madeline Schneider and Shimen Fayad, look to continue their hot start in their first year with the Titans. Fayad leads the team with 95 kills, while averaging 3.96 kills per set. Schneider is right up there with Fayad with 80 total kills and 3.33 kills per set.

Cal State Fullerton will start off the tournament Thursday night against the Air Force Academy. The Air Force Academy will be coming into the game riding a three-game winning streak.

The Falcons’ only loss of the season came at the hands of GCU, who the Titans beat in their previous match. The Titans defeated Grand Canyon in four sets, winning 3-1, while the Air Force Academy fell in five sets.

Cal State Fullerton will look to stop the Falcons’ top two players, sophomores Elizabeth Pennington and Abigail Miksch who lead the Falcons with 116 kills and 100 kills, respectively. The next top player on the Air Force Academy, Piper Heineck, has 40 kills.

CSUF will switch their attention to Weber State for a Friday afternoon game. The Wildcats are coming into the game after a strong 3-0 start to the season, in which junior standout Amanda Varley is averaging 3.82 kills per set. However, Weber State may have to kick off some rust considering they have not played a match since Aug. 27.

The Titans will need to recover quickly after playing Weber State, as they will face off against (4-3) Citadel on Friday night in the second game of their doubleheader. Junior outside hitter Moriah Smith leads the Bulldogs with 4.81 kills per set and 149 total kills.

Smith will have help from teammate Carla Bruce, who is second on the team with 2.90 kills per set and 90 total kills.

The Titans will finish off the weekend tournament against Colgate Saturday night. Colgate has struggled to start the season, coming out of the gates with a record of 2-3.

Colgate’s scoring leader is Southern California native Kathleen Harris, who leads the team with 63 kills and 3.5 kills per set. Harris has also racked up six service aces in her five games. Sophomore Katie Stansbury has chipped in an additional 2.72 kills per set and 49 kills total on the season.

Harris is not the only Southern California native who is returning home for this weekend’s tournament. Sophomore Peighton McRobie and freshman Gabby Benck both attended St. Margaret’s Episcopal in San Juan Capistrano and senior Madison McAndrews graduated from Harvard-Westlake in Los Angeles.

The Titans will look to improve their overall record to over .500, before heading back on the road for the San Diego State and University of San Diego tournament next weekend.