CSUF Volleyball in search of big rally in Big West

CSUF hopes to spark conference comeback with weekend games.  (Katie Albertson/Daily Titan)
CSUF hopes to spark conference comeback with weekend games.

(Katie Albertson/Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball (6-14 Overall, 1-5 Big West) looks to rebound this weekend with a two-game road trip after losing its last five consecutive conference games.

Both games over the weekend will feature rematches with teams the Titans have previously lost to this season. Fullerton will play UC Irvine Thursday night and will then head to UC Davis Saturday for a matchup with the Aggies.

The Titans’ first loss in Big West Conference play this season came at the hands of UCI at Titan Gym in a 3-0 sweep. Haley DeSales led the Anteaters with 11 kills on the night with an impressive .556 hitting percentage. UCI combined for a .337 hitting percentage as opposed to the Titans’ lowly .102 hitting percentage.

Leading hitters Shimen Fayad and Madeline Schneider struggled for Cal State Fullerton against UCI in the first matchup. Fayad led the Titans with eight kills in the contest while Schneider added seven, but both struggled to attack efficiently, hitting below a .100 hitting percentage.

Throughout the season, Victoria Dennis has produced the majority of the offense for UCI. Dennis dons a total of 288 kills on the season, placing her second in the Big West behind Nele Barber of Long Beach State. Fayad is fourth in the conference with 247 kills. Dennis is also fourth in the conference in kills per set at 3.65.

Luna Tsujimoto led the Anteater defense in the first game against CSUF with 17 digs. Tsujimoto is second in the Big West with 297 digs on the season.
The second game of the weekend will be a matchup with UC Davis Saturday night. The Titans fell to the Aggies in four sets, 3-1, earlier in the season at Titan Gym.

Freshman Lauren Matias dominated the game for UC Davis with 34 kills in just four sets, which is the most kills in a single game for any individual player in the Big West Conference this season.

In the contest against CSUF, Aggies Aima Eichie and Emily Allen added 17 and 10 kills, respectively. Eichie put up her 17 kills on 24 attempts, resulting in an impressive .708 hitting percentage. Allen leads UC Davis in total kills on the season with 242, placing her fifth in the conference for most kills right behind Fayad.

Fullerton was led by Schneider against the Aggies. The sophomore transfer racked up 18 kills on 39 attempts with a .385 hitting percentage. Fayad and freshman Meagan Carlson added 10 kills each for the Titans.

The Titans hope to come out on top in both games to stay alive in conference play. First serve for the first game against UC Irvine is set for Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Bren Events Center. The second game against UC Davis will be Saturday at 4 p.m. at The Pavilion.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a