‘Feminism is Cancer’ promotes hate

The radical feminist stereotype is perpetuated by the “Feminism is Cancer” movement. The idea that feminism is only coming from a man-hating mentality not only is ignorant, the title itself further qualifies its bigoted ideals. (Natalie Goldstein / Daily Titan)
The radical feminist stereotype is perpetuated by the “Feminism is Cancer” movement. The idea that feminism is only coming from a man-hating mentality not only is ignorant, the title itself further qualifies its bigoted ideals.
(Natalie Goldstein / Daily Titan)

A recent movement called “Feminism is Cancer” has unfortunately gained some popularity among mostly young, white people. They claim that third-wave feminism, a.k.a. radical or modern feminism, is “cancerous” because it doesn’t “consider men’s rights.” While they try to address societal concerns, they’re bickering devolves into childish and ignorant whining.

The movement was created for privileged white men who don’t like their power being challenged. The entire platform of the movement is backed by people who have no idea how hypocritical it is. The movement not only is based off of a stereotype, but the name is almost as bigoted and ignorant as the people advocating it. “Feminism is Cancer” horribly uses cancer as a joke to illustrate its concern of feminism.

The movement’s name was coined by self-proclaimed alt-right “meninist” and critic of feminism Milo Yiannopoulos. You might recall the name as he was permanently banned from Twitter on July 19 due to his hate-speech inducing tweets and for a poll he posted asking if people would rather their child have cancer or be a feminist.

Supporters of this movement are quick to clarify that the more moderate first and second waves of feminism are not under attack here, rather they’re targeting the radical feminism of the modern third wave. Advocates of the “Feminism is Cancer” movement view radical feminists as sensitive, masculine-looking women. However, their main issue with them by far is that they are apparently man-hating.

“A lot of feminists don’t consider men’s rights because they see men as lesser or think all men are bad or all men are oppressors and we (women) are oppressed,” said 18-year-old student and “Feminism is Cancer” advocate Myah Bowermaster to International Business Times.

It is true that some radical feminists have openly stated their contempt for men. Valerie Solanas, famous for being an outspoken radical feminist who also attempted to murder Andy Warhol, wrote a book called “SCUM Manifesto.” In the book, Solanas writes, “To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo.”
While people like Solanas unfortunately have these opinions in the feminist circle, they are not the majority—not even close.

“I don’t know that there’s ever been a large faction of feminists that has ever thought men were the problem,” said Jodi Davis-Pacheco, Ph.D., full-time lecturer in the Women and Gender Studies Program and Queer Studies Minor at Cal State Fullerton.

Activists of the “Feminism is Cancer” movement are not only wrong about feminists in general, but are completely misinterpreting what feminism is about.
Feminism is “a movement and a way of thinking that focuses on social, political and economic transformation. It seeks to dismantle systemic racism, sexism, xenophobia, transphobia and any other system of power that makes life unlivable and unsafe for those on the margins,” Davis-Pacheco said.

Because most of the advocates benefit from white and economic privilege, they completely dismiss the fact that women still face many issues because of their gender. They then claim to support men’s rights, but if they truly want to be advocates for men’s rights, why aren’t they standing up for trans men, men of color or male abuse victims?

“Feminism is Cancer” does touch on one important topic: pressure for men to appear masculine and the fact that men are not taught how to express their feelings properly because sensitivity is discouraged in today’s society. If this is all they are advocating for, then they are no better than the one-track minded radical feminists they complain about so much.

The patriarchal system does need to change. That’s not a dramatic overreaction—it’s a fact. Yet these angry, ignorant people aren’t looking at the bigger picture. They need to stop focusing on the few and start looking beyond their own privileges to see that not everyone gets to experience life the way they do.

To see the full extent of how badly these cry-babies hate feminists, check out #feminismiscancer on Twitter.

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed

A photo of visitors at the Shwedagon Pagoda.

Column: A glimpse into Myanmar culture

California may be the Golden State, but about 7,785 miles across the Pacific Ocean is the “Golden Land” of

9 commentsOn ‘Feminism is Cancer’ promotes hate

• Feminism is a hate movement. It promotes hatred towards men. Calling out a hate movement is not a bad thing. You’re whole article is a strawman. Toxic masculinity is a term meant to demonize men and in no way is feminism helping men. It itself is a toxic ideology.

Also, the patriarchy is basically the Illuminati of feminism: it’s a conspiracy theory. Women are the primary voters, thus politicians pander to them both in law and in funding programs for them.

• Feminists like this don’t realize that if you switch out “men” and put in “blacks” or “Muslims” (disclaimer: I’m black), their rhetoric becomes exactly what you hear from Conservatives. Yes all whites are afraid of black violence, yes all non-Muslims are afraid of Muslims, and most notably I’m sure we all remember how Donald Trump Jr’s crazy Syrians/Skittles analogy is a direct mirror of the feminist Men/M&M’s analogy?

83% of Americans do not want to be called feminists. This movement’s reputation has been ruined by its own behavior. Even black feminists have a problem with mainstream feminism.

• I like the headline. Yes feminism is cancer and it does promote hate. This article wreaks of projection. What was it Ilana? Did all the pretty white boys ignore you in high school which caused your article to be filled with so much hate of white men. Ever try walking in to a family court as a white man… or a man of any color? You’ll see first hand what your world view of feminism as a “movement and a way of thinking” would be, when as a man you are prohibited from seeing your children, restricted from your home, and deprived of your assets, all because of the fact that some politician created a biased law that provides female privilege, all in his attempt to pander to the female vote which happens to be at higher rates than men?

You’re still young. Try and kick the angry white feminist mentality. Anger can be a catalyst. Take your anger and direct it towards something good like volunteering for a gender neutral cause. As a privileged white male, I make sure to give back to my community with hundreds of hours of volunteering time. I help women, men and children indiscriminately…

• What “feminism is cancer” really means is that feminism is communism.

Feminists would say they don’t want communism. They just want everybody to have an equal outcome. Apparently, they think we’re all stupid.

“Feminism is “a movement and a way of thinking that focuses on social, political and economic transformation. It seeks to dismantle systemic racism, sexism, xenophobia, transphobia and any other system of power that makes life unlivable and unsafe for those on the margins,” Davis-Pacheco said.”

So what about that transformation?

Equality within nations, and equality between nations.

The first part is covered by communism. The second part is covered by immigration. Massive immigration from the 2nd and 3rd world into the West in order to completely transform it. The goal being to transform the West into something similar to 2nd and 3rd world nations.

• May our mind-raped girl could add some real reading to her work load too. May i recommend Spreading Misandry, Legalizing Misandry, Sanctifying Misandry, Transcending Misandry and (later) Replacing Misandry or The Woman Racket. Feminists who write this kind of drivel simply prove that feminism IS cancer.

• To see the full extent of how badly THOSE most original of crybabies hate men and boys as well as women and girls check out the Fiamengo File or listen to Erin Pizzey.

• Feminism is cancer, it has been for the last 50 years. They have never cared about equality, only about giving more privileges to women and girls. You only have to look at the education system now which has been completely unbalanced because of all the feminist influences. Currently 65%-75% of all college and university students are now female. The whole system has been built to favour women and to pander to their every need meanwhile men are just thrown the scraps and this is merely one of about 20 areas where feminism has been divisive and destructive.

So yes, feminism is cancer and its eating away and destroying our society.

• Ben Odo Morganti

Nice heaping pile of straw men. We will surely stay warm for weeks to come.

• #feminismiscancer, just as simple. 3rd wave feminism has just made it true. When is any feminist finally distancing herself from #killallmen?