Pollak Library accepting gallery proposals

In Campus News, Local News, News
gretchen1-std
One judging criteria for exhibits in the Salz-Pollak Atrium Gallery is that they typically have some sort of cultural content, according to the university archivist Patricia Prestinary. Most recently, the space has held exhibits about endangered languages and Syrian culture. (Gretchen Davey / Daily Titan)

The Pollak Library at Cal State Fullerton is currently accepting proposals for those interested in displaying their work in a variety of different exhibits located throughout the library.

The proposals are open to anyone who is interested in applying whether it’s a student, faculty member, staff member or someone from outside of CSUF.

“Our primary focus is serving the campus community. Having venues open to the campus community is really the primary goal,” said Trish Campbell, the exhibit committee chair and program coordinator.

The committee considers different factors when evaluating these proposals, such as what the description of the proposed exhibit is, how this exhibit will reflect on the initiatives and goals of the university, how it plans on enriching the campus, what is the intended message and other more specific related questions.

“We do prefer exhibits that have a sort of cultural content or something that relates to our curriculum and that enhances the student’s educational experience,” said Patricia Prestinary, the university archivist.

The Pollak Library is open to any ideas that anyone interested in submitting a proposal has.

“Only one time were we not able to accommodate somebody,” Campbell said. “They didn’t complete the application.”
First time curators are able to have a sit down session with Campbell to go over their ideas if desired. She spends a lot of time with first-time curators on a day-to-day basis.

“Certainly we want to look at the message that they want to send out. We would never want to have an exhibit on campus that would reflect poorly on the university or the library,” Campbell said.

These proposal submissions do not necessarily have to be looked at as the final project.

“After submitting (the proposal) we still have several months to actually bring it all together. That’s something to keep in mind,” Campbell said. “The proposal is due now but we still have time to flush it out.”

Campbell also takes into consideration the types of needs the curators may have when determining which exhibit will properly suit them. These needs may reflect on the content that is available to display, the type of information being displayed and the type of furniture that might be required to complete the exhibit.

“We’ve been really fortunate. All of the stuff that has been shown has been really incredibly diverse,” Campbell said. “Students have been doing some amazing work … and so are the faculty that guide them.”

The proposals that are currently being submitted will be evaluated by a member from the Exhibit Program Committee and will be issued a letter around Dec. 16 informing the status of the proposal.

Proposals that have been accepted are scheduled to be exhibited beginning summer 2017 and will be displayed within quarterly increments.

The quarters will consist of summer, winter, spring and then the following summer of 2018.

Those who are interested in submitting a proposal, please contact the Exhibit Program Committee at 657-278-2990 or at [email protected]

Deadline for the proposal submissions is Nov. 1 at 5 p.m.

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur