SSI distributes funds to cater academic needs

Cal State Fullerton’s Student Success Initiative (SSI) held its first fee advisory committee meeting of the fall semester Friday, to report on its achievements and goals for the academic year.

The program, which began in 2014, is using the Student Success Fee to update and improve campus quality for all students, according to its website. The committee is mainly comprised of students and chaired by ASI President Yanitza Berrios.

“The Student Success Initiative has really infused resources into the places where the students most wanted them and needed them,” said Berenecea Johnson Eanes, vice president for Student Affairs.

The $362 fee included in tuition is used to fund many resources for students such as extended library hours, updated classroom technology and improved Wi-Fi across campus. The fees can be seen at work on both the Fullerton and Irvine campuses.

SSI funds given to athletic support will be able to provide 89 full-time scholarships, which will be divided to help over 150 student athletes. Previous funds to the athletic department financed lights on the east and west practice fields. This year athletic facilities will be hiring their own maintenance mechanic to renovate and improve the campus.

Access Upgraded Technology used its funds to add 30 new outdoor Wi-Fi access points throughout campus to improve connectivity for students. Sixty-five laptops have been added to the Student Loaner Laptop Program as well.

SSI fees fund the Veterans Ambassador Program under the Veteran Resource Center, which trains other students to be mentors for students at community colleges to help with the transition from military life to academic life at CSUF. The center also provides a Veteran Scholar Career Readiness program that partners with the Career Center to help students with life after graduation.

The WoMen’s and Adult Reentry Center funds Violence Prevention Programs that provide an educator and victim’s advocate to educate students on the resources. The school and community provide for intimate partner violence, domestic violence and sexual assault.

“Those funds have really helped keep our Titans safe and also provide support if they do experience any type of intimate partner violence,” said Alisa Flowers, director of the WoMen’s and Adult Reentry Center.

The center also hosts a family back-to-school night for student parents, which provides activities and tours of the campus. The center focuses on helping these students and those that are returning to campus after a prolonged break.

“Their routine looks different, their needs look different than our traditional student, so we want to make sure that we give them the resources that they need to be retained on campus,” Flowers said.

Going into its third year, Eanes said she has seen SSI grow and develop during her time at CSUF.

“It’s been pretty profound to see the progress. It is exciting to see the change and to see these things coming to life,” Eanes said.