Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball still seeks first win of season

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball is still winless (0-4) after a tough road trip over Thanksgiving break. The Titans started the two-game stint with a 61-26 blowout loss at the University of Wyoming and closed out with a 77-58 loss at the University of Denver.

Wyoming
The Titans battled early on against Wyoming, trailing by five points at the end of the first quarter. However, the offense struggled to get in rhythm throughout the game, shooting 20.5 percent from the field along without scoring double figures in any quarter.

Fullerton leading scorer Iman Lathan had a difficult afternoon against Wyoming. Lathan was held scoreless for the first time as a Titan. No Fullerton player reached double figures in scoring.

Denver
The Titans’ offense improved in Tuesday’s matchup against Denver, but were unable to get enough stops on the defensive end to keep pace.

Denver was led by senior guard Jacqlyn Poss with an impressive offensive performance, putting up 19 points while shooting 53.8 percent. The Pioneers bench added a scoring punch with Briana Johnson and Lauren Loven scoring 16 and 15 points, respectively. Jordan Jackson and Daeja Smith both scored in double figures for the Titans. Smith scored 15 points, while finishing 9 of 10 from the free-throw line.

Fullerton’s season-long ball control struggles continued on the road trip. The Titans turned the ball over 19 times against Wyoming and 21 in their matchup with Denver.

Whittier preview
The Titans will look to get their first win of the season Monday night against Whittier College.

Division III Whittier is also winless with 0-2 record to start the season.The Poets offense is led by senior Ana Youngblood who is averaging 11 points per game on 50 percent shooting. The Titans defense will need to focus on Youngblood as no other scorer for Whittier is averaging in double figures.

The game will tip-off at Titan Gym Monday at 7 p.m.