Incumbent Royce wins 39th District

In Local News, News, State News
ryan-porter2-std
(Ryan Porter / Daily Titan) Rep. Ed Royce celebrated his reelection as representative to the 39th Congressional District in California. His running mate Ling Ling Chang also celebrated victory Nov 8.

Cal State Fullerton alumnus Edward “Ed” Royce has once again been elected to be California’s 39th Congressional District’s representative.

By more than a 20 percent lead, the final results determined the incumbent as the winner.

Royce hosted a results party at his campaign headquarters in Brea on election night. There, he welcomed volunteers, donors, friends and family to collectively wait for the results.

Royce, a prominent GOP voice in Washington politics, said he plans to continue to work across the aisle to reach consensus on issues as chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the House of Representatives.

“My goal will be to have the Foreign Affairs Committee, all 44 members speak with one voice, reach compromise on issues and be cognizant of the fact that we write the laws,” Royce said.

For the past 22 years, Royce has represented the people in the cities of Fullerton, Brea, Placentia, La Habra, Yorba Linda, Rowland Heights, Hacienda Heights, Walnut, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar and parts of Anaheim.

In comparison to previous campaigns, the 2016 Royce campaign welcomed a large amount of young volunteers.

“One of the more exciting parts of the campaign is working with so many students, college and high school students,” Royce said.

The congressman said the development of local students and their involvement was one of the best things about this election cycle.

“Part of my focus is always walking precincts, so I’ve had the opportunity to walk with many of these students,” Royce said. “It’s remarkable how quickly they become part of the process and start coming up with their own ideas in a campaign.”

Royce, a proud alumnus of CSUF, said he plans to continue his involvement with the university in this term.

“I have been involved in many of the community partnerships that we have had securing grants and funding … (and brought) world leaders to the campus including ambassadors,” Royce said.

During his time in the House of Representatives, Royce has sponsored 11 bills that have been enacted and signed by the president of the United States. Some of these bills are about wildlife trafficking and foreign relations.

Saat Alety, communications director for Royce’s 2016 campaign, has been working for Royce for two and a half years.

Alety said Royce will continue prioritizing national security, especially following the 2015 San Bernardino terrorist attacks.

In addition to national security, Alety said Royce sees education as a major issue.

“The biggest thing is student loans and educational affordability … In 2013, Congressman Royce voted to keep student loan interests rates low and that’s something the next congress, as well as congressman Royce, will have to tackle,” Alety said.

Johnny Garcia, a job developer and Brea resident, attended Royce’s results party at the congressman’s campaign headquarters in Brea last night.

Garcia stressed the congressman’s focus on family values and individual rights.

“He supports families … He is fiscally responsible. He vouches for the community and he really cares,” Garcia said.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a