Obama will be leaving office but not our hearts

(Courtesy of Wikimedia)
(Courtesy of Wikimedia)

The old adage, “you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone,” has never been so apparent as it has been during this past 2016 presidential election.

Standing in the polling lines for hours, it’s interesting to see a shift in attitude toward President Barack Obama, who is still in office for a few months.

Men and women once spread vitriolic mumblings about Obama’s skin color being the only reason he won, or that he wasn’t born in America or that he was a Muslim terrorist.

Now, the dialogue has shifted to one of a longing remembrance of the cool, calm demeanor we’ve all come to love after eight years of having, objectively, one of the coolest presidents in history.

Jan. 20 will mark the beginning of a new era of presidency. It will also be the end of a calm that Obama managed to usher in and somehow maintain during his time in the White House.

Obama is like America’s dad, and in true fatherly fashion, he irons out any wrinkly situations.

He inherited monumental problems with the housing crisis, our involvement in the Middle East and the fall of Wall Street. To this day, he is hardly given any credit for the work he has done.

Trump has made a habit of saying that Obama is the worst and most ignorant president in history, often referencing the failure of Obamacare.

However, Obamacare has provided millions with affordable health insurance that previously were uninsured for reasons as simple as having a prior medical condition. Obamacare made it so that people couldn’t be turned away for a prior chronic health problem.

Even though Obama’s approval rating has dropped since 2009, he is still far ahead President Ronald Reagan in 1988, according to The Washington Post.

If one googles “coolest president,” one would come across some kind of article or compilation of GIFS that attest to the fact that Obama is just so much cooler than every other president we’ve ever had.

Along with his cool demeanor and overall approval rating, children are legitimately in tears of sadness over the fact that Obama is leaving office, according to The Huffington Post.

What has earned Obama the title of “coolest president in history” is the fact that he has put himself in the spotlight by appealing to how the current generation consumes media.

By appearing on countless television programs, making YouTube videos, participating in comedic spoofs and being an all-around prankster in the Oval Office, Obama has humanized himself and effectively made himself not look like a complete politician, while maintaining his presidential demeanor.

He was also the first president to hold a White House Science Fair.

His investment in America’s youth is one of the most defining characteristics of his presidential career, not to mention Michelle Obama has been one of the most influential first ladies in history. They complement each other in such a perfect way.

His entire family is a great representation of what the president’s family should be.

The U.S. watched his daughters grow up, get jobs and even Malia was caught smoking weed at a festival–they aren’t perfect but they are human, which is why everyone can relate to them so easily.

This is the president who makes personalized Spotify playlists, decides to host a concert on the White House Lawn because he liked South by Southwest so much, became immortalized through GIFS and recently gave a list of his top 5 rappers online.

Not only has he made himself likable to millennials, he also appeals to adults and children because he’s interested in everything, and willing to adapt.

For millennials, Barack Obama isn’t pandering, he’s just being himself. He’s a naturally funny and generally likable guy who will be sorely missed, especially since this election has left a large portion of Americans wondering if the President-elect can “make America great again,” and if so, for who?

Those who feared Barack Obama’s presidency are now mourning a loss they did not expect to be mourning.

To quote something else well-loved and sorely missed, Kingsley Shacklebolt from the “Harry Potter” series said this about Dumbledore: “You may not like him, Minister, but you can’t deny: Dumbledore’s got style.”