Students share messages of unity and support with handwritten notes

amy-wells7-std
Students for a Quality Education (SQE), and Associated Students Inc (ASI) sponsored a “Titan Therapy” event in front of the “TITANS” sign outside the TSU. Students were invited to share their frustrations and reflections through discussions or posts on the sign.
(Amy Wells / Daily Titan)

The days following the presidential election have been emotional for many Cal State Fullerton students. Feelings of fear, anger, and disappointment have been voiced continuously by the campus community. 

On Monday, Students for Quality Education (SQE), in partnership with Associated Students Inc. (ASI), allowed students to tape their notes of support on the “TITANS” sign in front of the Titan Student Union as a form of therapy.

“People are really concerned and they need an outlet to express that,” said Liz Sanchez, SQE member. “Most Titans feel devastated by the Trump election.”

For those affected by the results, this is an opportunity to maintain a community and stay strong, Sanchez said.

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., students covered each letter with their reflections and messages of unity. Many students wrote uplifting signs such as, “Titans protecting one another” and “We Must Work Together.”

Lindsey Ohling, second-year art major, wrote “I don’t want to be scared in my own country.”

Ohling was disturbed by Donald Trump’s comments regarding women. To her, Trump’s remarks are setting America back in the past where women were seen as objects rather than as people.

“I don’t want that. I don’t want to be the next rape victim and people just put me off to the side,” Ohling said. “I want my story to be heard. I want people to know that it’s okay to stand up to people like him.”

Aylin Garcia, a first-year transfer student and sociology major, said Trump’s statements about undocumented immigrants hurt her on a personal level.

“My parents came here when I was five in hopes to give me a better future,” Garcia said. “What they really wanted was for me to get an education, for me to make something out of myself.”

Garcia felt empowered to write the message, “I am a manifestation of my parents’ dream. Undocumented and unafraid.”

“I think it’s really nice to be in a university where your voice can be heard through demonstrations like this one,” Garcia said.

Jessie Chan, a first-year mathematics major, was passing by when she saw the demonstration.

“This makes me feel more at peace, I have a community around me that’s safer,” Chan said.

She said she felt scared after hearing about violence occurring against the Asian community in wake of the election.

Although Chan was hesitant at first to write her messages, “No Hate” and “Stay Safe”, she realized her words could provide comfort to those in the same situation as her.

Fifth-year kinesiology major and SQE member Carlos Rodriguez saw this as an opportunity to be around like-minded individuals.

Rodriguez said it was therapeutic to write his signs, “Love Trumps Hate” and “Legalize My Family.”

“You can relate and realize that even though this country elected this man, not everyone in this country supports him or feels the same as him,” Rodriguez said.