New dean of library appointed

(Courtesy of Clem Guthro)

Cal State Fullerton has appointed Clement Guthro to fill the new position of dean of the library for the spring semester.

On Dec. 2, Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Anil Puri announced he had selected Guthro for the position. Guthro serves as the director of libraries at Colby College in Waterville, Maine and will begin at CSUF March 30, 2017.

Guthro will be succeeding Richard Pollard who served as university librarian from 1987-2013. He will be taking over from Scott Hewitt, who has served as interim university librarian since August 2014.

Puri made his selection after hearing from the search committee, who reviewed numerous applications and interviewed several candidates. The committee was comprised of nine faculty members and one student representative.

As a first-generation student himself, Guthro was attracted to CSUF because of the emphasis the school has put on promoting success for first-generation students.

“Neither one of my parents went to high school, so I certainly understand what a university education can do, what a difference it can make,” Guthro said.Guthro is of mixed race and father to four adopted Hispanic children. He said he is excited to head to Southern California where the population is noticeably more diverse in comparison to Maine. Guthro was drawn to CSUF’s efforts to make diversity and inclusion visible on campus.

“Getting back to a place where at least some of my children will see people that look like them is really nice,” Guthro said.
Guthro worked in libraries throughout his time attending university and received his masters in library science in 1985 from the University of Western, Ontario.
Guthro also has experience with library renovations at Colby College and is looking forward to the possibility of renovating the library at CSUF.
Cynthia Bruns, who served on the committee and works as the Information and Instruction Unit head at the library, found Guthro to be very welcoming and friendly.

“We’re just delighted he has been hired and looking forward to a real positive voice on campus,” Bruns said.

Guthro said he is looking forward to the new opportunities that come with working in a larger institution.

“I really like the idea of rethinking library space and building the library of the future,” he said.

Guthro said he would like to make CSUF’s library the “centerpiece” of the campus, providing the necessary tools for students to complete their work.

“I was personally impressed with how well he related to students … It was lots of fun to watch him as we got to know these students and discuss with them in the library,” Bruns said.

“I think everybody’s really looking forward to his arrival.”

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter