Pit bull regulations are too rough

While there are many aggressive dogs, pit bull breeds are by far the most controversial and heavily regulated. The way that the breed is viewed is deeply rooted in myths, misinformation and misconceptions. The stigma needs to be tackled by Americans across the nation.

Pit bulls are as deserving of love as any other dog. The taboo and fear of owning one is horribly misplaced.

With Canada recently banning pit bulls due to a fatal attack on a Montreal woman and over 40 countries having already banned the breed, people have been quick to throw man’s loyal companion to the back burner in a serious case of canine discrimination.

The dog that used to be known as the perfect “nanny dog” for children because of their gentle nature as a family companion is now feared and kept from kids. Advocates against the dog breed have noted that pit bull maulings have been first recorded since 1984, saying that they have been a problem for a long time.

What people are quick to forget is that every dog has the instinct to bite. This breed isn’t inherently aggressive.

Although pit bulls and pit bull mixes are not outright banned in the U.S., over 700 cities have breed-specific laws against them.

The American Temperament Test Society tests the temperament of different dog breeds and much to the chagrin of those 700 cities and 41 countries, pit bulls are rated with a positive 87.4 percent.

Although there are many cases of dogs attacking humans, pit bulls were found to be even less prone to attack than fluffy chow chows. Dogs take after their owners, and if an owner can’t train the dog, it should be no surprise that the dog will subsequently run wild.

If an owner doesn’t know how to be an alpha, they probably shouldn’t be attempting to raise a big dog; that should go without saying.

There have been a plethora of reports of brutal attacks involving the breed, and those cases are clearly the catalyst for the fear against this specific animal.

The stigma surrounding pit bulls is sad because when raised properly, they are amazing animals. About 1.2 million dogs a year are euthanized from the shelters, with an astounding 200 pit bulls killed a day in Los Angeles shelters alone.

Pit bulls account for the majority of recorded attacks across the U.S. and Canada from the 1980s to 2014, but Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies and other popular dog breeds also populate the list, according to a 2014 study by Animals 24-7, an online journalism publication concerning animals.

However, the breed is resilient. They are starting to be used as police dogs straight from the shelter in certain states and are also being used as service dogs.

Across the nation, there are many advocates for the breed that are starting to chip away at the fear behind the breed such. Including, Los Angeles’ Angel City Pit Bulls, Bad Rap etc…

People shouldn’t be afraid of what they don’t understand. Through adopting pits and giving them a home, the animal can finally live a happy life and start to upend the taboo surrounding them.

With time, America is sure to set the rest of the world straight with this lovable animal.

112 commentsOn Pit bull regulations are too rough

• Your comment, “Penalties should be proportionate to the damage caused in the incident.”

Only 20% of pit bull owners who’s pit bulls have killed someone are even charged with a felony.

Just empty words.

• It’s not empty words. BSL is effectively a change in the law. I didn’t say the laws in place now are adequate or shouldn’t be changed.
    I am a huge advocate for increased laws requiring full owner accountability. I simply disagree that BSL is the best way to bring that about for many reasons. The sentence you quoted was also a direct response to someone else commenting that owners of certain breeds should have more severe penalties for the same incident and outcome as an owner of another breed. If this person had commented that they believe owners of certain breeds should have more severe restrictions or requirements I would not have shared my thoughts on the issue.
    You’re commenting on a string comments, not just mine. Cherry picking one sentence of someone’s comment in an attempt to discredit their point without any adding to the conversation is an empty use of words. Sharing an opinion is not.

• Gabriel Barros

The problem is a pit bull problem which is why we have BSL. It’s not a “dog problem”. We have sufficient “dog laws” but those laws are not sufficient for pit bull dogs as they were bred for over a century to kill their own kind and pose a much greater risk then a loose Golden Retriever or Border Collie.

The reason I say your words are empty is that what you propose will do almost nothing to curb the pit bull problem. Like I say, we have “dog laws” and for the average pet dog the laws are sufficient. It’s the fighting breeds that needs banning or restrictions.

As a side benefit of BSL, it does curb the overbreeding, abuse, and suffering of the pit bull dog but I have known for quite a while that pit bull “advocates” really don’t care about that.

• Gabriel Barros

As far as replying to your sentence. After reading your entire comment again, you relayed your thought just fine. The rest of your comment was only supporting your first sentence.

If you feel the need to write multiple novels to convey one single complete thought then maybe writing is not for you.

• More distracting for the actual issue in an attempt to insult someone you don’t know and never will. Yikes.

• You do realize most of your comments on any article I see about dog attacks are copy and pasted novels correct? You don’t have to like how I write, that’s not the point of my comments. We’re all sharing in a discussion. If you don’t like to maybe reading other people’s comments in these forums isn’t for you?

• Gabriel Barros

I was simply replying to your comment so if anyone’s “distracting from the actual issue”, it’s YOU.

Your previous comment, “You’re commenting on a string comments, not just mine. Cherry picking one sentence of someone’s comment in an attempt to discredit their point without adding to the conversation is an empty use of words. Sharing an opinion is not.”

• Gabriel Barros

When you make false claims such as, “You’re simply incorrect when you comment that “Temperament is 100% genetic”. I tried to look into this and can’t find a study that claims this.”

And I correct you with the scientific facts which happen to be a paragraph or two, I’m simply educating you. Maybe you should read and understand what I openly hand to you rather than file it into the black void behind your eyeballs.

• You’re very aggressive with anyone who disagrees with you. It’s important for everyone to do their own research. I was unable to find the “scientific facts” you are referencing. Do you care to share a link to your study?

• Gabriel Barros

Your comment, “I was unable to find the “scientific facts” you are referencing. Do you care to share a link to your study?”

In a previous comment you claim that temperament is not 100% genetic. You are WRONG and stop spreading false information!

Understanding Dogs Temperament in Dogs – Its Role in Decision Making
    by Dr. Radcliffe Robins

Characteristics of Temperament

Temperament is primarily a function of the dog’s neurological makeup

Temperament is 100% genetic; it is inherited, and fixed at the moment of the dog’s fertilization/conception/birth.

Temperament in the dog cannot be eliminated nor transformed from one type to another. It cannot change during the dog’s lifetime. It is the permanent mental/neurological characteristic of the individual dog. But there may be an overlap of different temperaments in the same dog.
    For example sharpness may be seen with over aggression or submissiveness with being temperamental.

Environment, Socialization or Training can modify the expression of an individual dog’s temperament, but they cannot transform it nor eliminate it. The dog will die with the temperament with which it was born.

• Thank you, I hadn’t gotten to your other comment sharing this yet.

• Again, I appreciate you sharing where your information is coming from.
    Directly from the information you are sharing, ” Environment, Socialization or Training can modify the expression of an individual dog’s temperament, but they cannot transform it nor eliminate it.” This is very important as my entire view of this issue revolves around accountability in ownership.
    Genetics of course play a role in the behavior of your dog; it is the responsibility of the owner to provide socialization, training, and an environment that allows for the sociably acceptable expression of that individual dog’s temperament. The temperament is not the issue here, the expression and handling of it is.

Let’s start holding owners accountable for handling their animals in a safe way – all owners, even the 26% of other breeds of dog (according to another source you shared) that kill.