Cal State Fullerton softball loses to Pacific in back-to-back games at Easton Invitational

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Softball was scoreless in back-to-back games against Pacific in the Easton Invitational Sunday.

The Titans picked up where they left off when their Friday night game against Pacific was cancelled due to rain, trailing 2-0 in the fourth inning, CSUF was unable to begin a comeback.

CSUF pitcher Cerissa Rivera, struggled in the 5th inning with two outs under her belt. After having a meeting in the circle with Pitching Coach Tori Tyson, Rivera allowed Pacific Catcher Rachel Sellers to get to base safely after a failed attempt to make a double play, only getting the runner at second base out.

Pacific’s Cassidy Gustafson battled Rivera with foul balls and was ultimately hit by a pitch, earning her a spot on first base. Rivera lost a face-off with Tigers batter Samantha Owen, who hit a homer to center in the fifth inning, putting Pacific up by three more runs.

Head Coach Kelly Ford took Rivera out following the home run and brought in Nyah Rodham to finish the inning. The Titans used three different pitchers by the end of the game. With CSUF unable to string enough at bats together to produce a run, Pacific beat the Titans 6-0.

After a short break, both teams returned to the diamond for another crack at the bat. This time the Titans utilized a new addition to their team, pitcher Kelsey Kessler, transfer Arizona State.

Kessler was able to immediately set a better tone for the Titans with two strikeouts. Despite Kessler’s efforts, Pacific was able to get two players on base.

Still looking for one more out, Pacific batter Sydney Lahners hit a hard ground ball to Titans shortstop Shianne Brannan, who bobbled the ball and was unable to make the out at first in time.

Gustafson stepped up to the bag again, this time hitting a homer to left field, putting the Tigers up 3-0, which ended up being the final score.

Though the home run lead to the Titans defeat, it could have been avoided if not for the earlier fielding error. Kessler kept her composure and finished the game strong, not giving up any more runs for the rest of her stay on the mound.

“I thought Kelsey Kessler was the shining light in today’s game, she gave up that home run but we should be able to protect that with our bats,” Ford said, “If you can’t score, you can’t win.”

The Titans look forward to learning from this weekend’s tournament and working hard in practice to begin their season before heading to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for the Puerto Vallarta Challenge.

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs