CSUF campus crime log shows bike theft, indecent exposure and the “serial urinator”

In Campus News, Local News, News, Top Stories
Between Feb. 17 and Feb. 25, some of the most frequently reported crimes on the University Police crime log included routine traffic stops, burglary and fire alarms in campus buildings and suspicious persons and vehicles. Larger crimes reported included a DUI, assault and battery charges and a lodging without consent charge. (Cathryn Edwards / Daily Titan)

Between Feb. 17 and Feb. 25, University Police made progress in closing cases but are seeking the public’s help to solve other ongoing cases.

Public indecency in College Park
An email crime alert detailing a male who was “touching himself on the outside of his clothing” in Lot S was issued Friday shortly before 11:15 a.m. by University Police.

The alert described the man as being approximately 30 years old, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-9 and having “tan skin.”

Alerts sent out Oct. 24 and Feb. 1 detailed a similar suspect, who was described as having dark skin and hair and being in his early 20s.

The surrounding apartment managers and people in the area have been notified that police are searching for the suspect, Willey said.

“We have never been able to find him,” Willey said. “We are hoping that the next time somebody sees him that they can sit and watch where he is from a safe place, call us and keep watching him so that we know exactly where he is going.”

“Serial urinator” cited
Campus law enforcement found a transient man University Police Capt. Scot Willey referred to as the “serial urinator” in the Performing Arts building around 4:30 a.m. on Friday, according to the University Police crime log.

Willey said the department has been receiving several calls from the Performing Arts department over the past few weeks of evidence that someone had been urinating in the hallways and the classrooms of the Performing Arts building.

“One of our officers went on a foot patrol just to look for that person and he actually could smell the urine and knew that the guy was in there,” Willey said.

The man was cited for lodging without consent and given a temporary stay-away order, Willey said.

“It tells them that they have interrupted the business of the university and that they are not allowed to come back for seven days,” Willey said. “If he shows up before then, we can arrest him on a trespassing charge.”

University Police suspect that the man gained access to the room from a door being propped open or left unlocked, Willey said.

“He would stay inside these rooms and our guess is that he did not want to step out and get caught by anybody so he would just urinate in the room he was in,” Willey said.

Attempted suicide in the dorms
An attempted suicide was reported on campus in the Oak Dorm around 10:45 p.m. on Thursday, according to the University Police crime log.

Willey said that University Police and the Fullerton Fire Department were sent to the dorms area and a student resident was transported to the hospital.

“It was somebody that had taken a large amount of pills,” Willey said.

Female student assaults former boyfriend
A female CSUF student was arrested for charges of assault and battery, false imprisonment and annoying repeat calls following an altercation with a male student she was formerly in a romantic relationship with, Willey said.

The arrest took place in the East Side Parking Structure shortly before 7 p.m. on Feb. 21, according to the University Police crime log.

“The female was the one that was grabbing on to his leg so that he could not leave and was not allowing him to get into his vehicle,” Willey said.

An emergency protective order, which is a temporary restraining order, was put on the female student to keep her away from the male student, Willey said.

Title IX is now handling the case, Willey said.

Police cameras catch bike thief
University Police is still searching for the student owner of a stolen bicycle they recovered to come forward and claim their property so they can charge a man they caught with theft, Willey said.

James Bailey, 20, was arrested for possession of burglary tools on Feb. 17 after University Police officers in the on-campus dispatch center saw him attempting to steal a bicycle near the Juniper Dorm shortly before 7 a.m., Willey said.

“(Bailey) was wearing a backpack,” Willey said. “He looks like a normal college student, but all he had in that backpack was bolt cutters.”

Bailey admitted to committing three other bicycle thefts on campus and to targeting bikes with cable locks because they are easier to cut than U-bolt or chain locks, Willey said.

“We take it seriously because (bicycles are) a main mode of transportation for a lot of our students, especially in housing,” Willey said. “We know that it may only be a $100 bike, but to them, that is a whole semester’s worth of travel … and they cannot just keep going out and buying bikes.”

Adriana Hymovitz contributed to this report

One commentOn CSUF campus crime log shows bike theft, indecent exposure and the “serial urinator”

• I really enjoyed this simple and comprehensive crime log. I wish the city of Fullerton would set a system like this to see crime in the city.