Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis aces historic start to season

(Matt Brown / Cal State Fullerton Sports Media)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team is off to an all-time best 6-0 start after two road wins over the weekend against San Francisco and Santa Clara.

Along with their Bay Area wins, the Titans have defeated Nevada, UC San Diego, San Diego State and University of San Diego to start the season with dominant displays from seniors and doubles partners Camille De Leon and Alexis Valenzuela.

“All the hard work we put into the offseason, this fall, and all our goals that we started at the beginning of the year, we’re all just motivated to accomplish those,” Valenzuela said.

Fullerton set the record when they went 4-0 to start the season.

The Titans defeated San Francisco 5-1 in singles matches after their doubles matches were canceled due to the rain. On Saturday afternoon, the Titans defeated Santa Clara 4-0.

Valenzuela and De Leon are off to a hot start individually as well. Both have gone undefeated in singles play with 5-0 and 4-0 records so far, respectively. The Titans were plagued again by rainfall Saturday as De Leon and Valenzuela were unable to finish their individual matches.

Their play together is also notable. Despite losing their first doubles match this season to Madison Clarke and Daniella Silva against Santa Clara on Saturday, they’ve still managed a 3-1 record in doubles.

“We just really have good chemistry together. We just work really well,” De Leon said. “We just complement each other well and we’re always on the same page, which is really important and we also continue to push each other to the limit.”

In their second season as doubles partners, they see the growth and improvement they’ve achieved since their first season together.

“Communication is key,” said Valenzuela. “I feel like we both are on the same page and we both want to accomplish the same goals together as doubles partners.”

Both Valenzuela and De Leon have NCAA Tournament aspirations among their individual goals and the news got even better for the pair as Valenzuela was named the Big West Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week.

As for the team’s goals for the season, they’re dreaming big.

“Win the Big West, end up with the final ranking in the ITA, have a team GPA at 3.0, undefeated in conference,” De Leon said.

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing

Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report

Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone

A drawing of alexandria ocasio-cortez with two other women standing behind her and a flag also with the symbol for female is behind them

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a powerful presence in politics

The Democrats have a new media darling worthy of the spotlight: New York House of Representatives member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,