Discoverfest hosts 11 new clubs and organizations

In Campus News, Local News, News
Discoverfest is held every semester to help clubs and organizations draw new membership. Over 200 clubs set up booths this semester, including 11 new organizations such as the Collegians for Christ Campus Ministry and the Biology and Biotechnology club. (Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

(Ashley Haley / Maria Ong)

Hip-hop songs “Caroline” and “We Gon’ Be Alright” blasted through Power 106 radio speakers as students explored clubs at the spring 2017 Discoverfest Wednesday and Thursday.

Some students danced to the hip-hop music as they navigated through the central Quad while others walked slowly, carefully reading each club banner that they passed. Organizers handed out reusable orange bags that depicted an astronaut with “#Titanexperience” printed on the front, which included buttons and a map of the event.

“The beginning of the semester is an exciting time in general, but I really like the second week with Discoverfest because students get to go out there and really show their passions,” said Student Life and Leadership associate director Anthony Pang, who has worked closely with Associate Students, Inc. (ASI) for the past three years to make Discoverfest possible.

The spring Discoverfest offered over 200 student clubs and organizations, including 11 new additions. The clubs and organizations range from cultural and faith-based to sports, volunteer service and honors societies.

The new groups included Alpha Sigma Lambda-Nu Pi Chapter, the Association for Women Geoscientists, the Athletic Training Student Association, the Biology and Biotechnology club, the Collegians for Christ (CFC) Campus Ministry, Chi Sigma Iota-Kappa Omega, Data Science Student club, Engineers Without Borders, Multicultural Arts Council, Physical Theatre and SEDS.

New clubs and organizations were strategically placed in the central Quad to encourage students to stop and learn about them, Pang said. Registered organizations have the opportunity to get an ASI club account, office space in the Titan Student Union (TSU) and host events at little to no cost.

Bianca Maximiano, co-president of Cal State Fullerton’s CFC Campus Ministry, helped start the new club to share her faith with college students. The club is open to all religions but focuses heavily on Catholicism.

The CFC Campus Ministry offers students a place to go where they can say what they believe in and not feel judged for their beliefs, Maximiano said.

The Biology and Biotechnology Club hung a black and white handmade banner over its booth. Tristan Torres, founder and president of the club, thought it would be “cool” to add biotechnology to their biology club to attract engineering and math majors.

“We hope to establish an organization that has a lot of networking opportunities for people and a lot of service activities people can do and overall just have fun,” Torres said.

Getting involved on campus in co-curricular activities allows students to benefit from connections they make within their clubs, develop skills and contribute to their overall Titan experience, according to the Student Life and Leadership website.

However, students like sophomore political science major Nicolette Solorzano felt that it would be easier to participate in Discoverfest if the event lasted longer than two days.

“A lot of people stack their classes so it’s hard to get out there,” Solorzano said.

Students who were not able to attend Discoverfest are encouraged to visit TitanLink, a student organization database that allows students to connect with clubs and organizations that spark their interest. Every registered campus organization can be found on TitanLink, as well as club events, meeting times and locations.

“It’s a chance for all of us (myself, faculty, staff, students) to see the true liveliness at one time,” Pang said. “Discoverfest allows us to bring all of those things together and for everybody to see this is a part of what being a Titan is.”