Letter to Editor- In response to “Reporting a Sexual Assault on Campus”

In Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Dear Editor,

I am writing in response to the article “Reporting a Sexual Assault on Campus” published on Feb. 13, 2017.
I supervise the first responders to Safe Place whenever a rape kit needs to be performed. Because you listed the name and location of the hospital where we do these exams, I feel that a few things need to be clarified. One, a survivor can only request and receive a forensic rape exam through law enforcement in the city where the crime occurred; two, it is important that survivors do not self-report to our location, because they will be checked into the ER and charged up to $1,500 to be examined–and they will not receive the forensic exam (see No. 1 above.) There is one other option–the VAWA exam–which does not require law enforcement, but the survivor must call us at the Rape Crisis Center to contact the forensic nurse who will schedule an appointment. Rape Crisis Center advocates possess a special exemption and are not mandated reporters, holding absolute confidentiality with their clients. Since you neglected to list our hotline number, I will provide it now: 714-957-2737. We can answer any and all questions about this procedure.

Thank you,
Dawn Foor, Ph.D.
Supervisor at the Rape Crisis Center

CSUF baseball loses to University of Nevada, Reno to add to worst start in franchise history

After opening up its season with three straight losses, CSUF baseball faced University of Nevada, Reno in its home

Motorcyclist sustains moderate injuries after colliding with car on Nutwood Avenue near Cal State Fullerton

A male motorcyclist was injured after colliding with a car on Nutwood Avenue Tuesday night said Lt. Andrew Goodrich

Vince McMahon’s XFL wrestles with violence and player safety

Football reimagined. This is the idea CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., Vince McMahon, pitched when he announced the