‘NBA 2K17’ virtually shoots hoops in the TSU

In Art, Arts & Entertainment
Richard Gillard was one of two finalists who played for not only glory, but also a TBB Swag Bag and free bowling voucher Tuesday night at the Titan Bowl and Billiards. ( Katie Albertson / Daily Titan )

Cal State Fullerton students found fierce basketball video game competition at the “NBA 2K17” biweekly tournament held Tuesday night at the Titan Student Union Underground.

Gamers gathered downstairs in the Titan Bowl & Billiards to compete in the first “NBA 2K17” video game tournament of CSUF’s spring 2017 semester, engaging in intense back-and-forth gameplay, shared interests and friendly banter.

Sixteen students entered the single-elimination tournament to show off their skills on either an Xbox One or a PlayStation 4.

Marcos Tlatenchi, a second-year electrical engineering major who works at the TSU Titan Bowl & Billiards, was the student moderator for the event. Tlatenchi was in charge of the tournament bracket and was responsible for properly distributing the rules to student gamers.

With the advertisements on social media and flyers posted around CSUF’s campus, Tlatenchi said these events have gradually drawn more people.

“Honestly, from pulling in the tournaments and having more advertising, we see the growth in people that come down and actually want to play and hang out. At the same time, I’ve seen more people connecting with each other,” Tlatenchi said.

No matter what area of Titan Bowl & Billiards students were seated or standing, it was easy to tell when a big play happened during each game of the tournament. Whenever a highlight-worthy dunk or difficult three-point shot was made, loud cheers and shouts were heard throughout the TSU Underground.

Richard Gillard, a business major, had a very successful run throughout the tournament all the way to the final round while playing as the Washington Wizards.

Gillard quickly credited two players, all-star point guard John Wall and shooting guard Bradley Beal, for his success in “NBA 2K17.”

“(Wall) is like the fastest player in the NBA, I feel like,” Gillard said. “Him and Bradley Beal.”

Gillard also had a lot of confidence in using Beal when he plays “2K17,” citing Beal’s sharp three-point shooting skills.

“Bradley Beal is a sharpshooter and he hits consistent threes. I just like playing at a fast pace.” Gillard said.

Gillard and his good friend, human communications major Eric Stafford, both advanced all the way to the final round to face each other.

Stafford played as the Boston Celtics throughout the tournament to reach the final round, despite not using them very much when playing “2K17” during his leisure time.

He also welcomed the challenge of beating his long-time friend Gillard, who he has known since the fourth grade.

Stafford was able to back up his claim that he was going to win as his Celtics went on to defeat Gillard’s Wizards. For coming in first place, Stafford took home a TBB Swag Bag as well as a free bowling pass for one game at Titan Bowl & Billiards.

Cal State Fullerton softball shuts out Houston 8-0

Fullerton – Big West Pitcher of the Week Kelsey Kessler pitched an 8-0 shutout to get a win in five

Cal State Fullerton lecturer suspended after altercation with College Republicans club during protest

(Jason Rochlin / Sarah Wolstoncroft) A Cal State Fullerton lecturer has been suspended for striking a student during a

CSU Chancellor Timothy White addresses policies on federal immigration laws in memorandum

(Hayley M. Slye / Micah Augimeri-Lee) CSU Chancellor Timothy White issued a memorandum Wednesday that read “unless otherwise required