The Oscars are over, but the month of March is full of new movies

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV, Reviews
(Courtesy of Walt Disney Productions)

With the Oscars now swept beneath the carpet of the American consciousness and “Moonlight” narrowly coming home with the golden statue after “La La Land” was just about to dance off stage with it, the blockbuster films of March are just around the corner. While these may not have the artistic prestige of the movies released right around award season, March is still filled to the brim with escapism.

(Courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox)

“Logan” (March 3)

Hugh Jackman says goodbye to the character Wolverine in his final performance as the mutant in “Logan,” which is the first film in the X-Men franchise other than the foul-mouthed “Deadpool” to receive an “R” rating. It certainly doesn’t hurt that critics are already raving about it, receiving a 94 percent on review aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes.

“One of next year’s nominees for best actor must go to Jackman,” said Victoria Alexander of FilmsInReview.com. “His ‘Logan’ is as moving and complex as dramatic characters demand.”

High praise, especially for a comic book film.

(Courtesy of Legendary Entertainment)

“Kong: Skull Island” (March 10)

Warner Brothers plays the next card in their monster movie continuity–beginning with 2014’s divisive “Godzilla”–with this reintroduction of King Kong. Set during the Vietnam War, the all-star cast includes Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly. Considering that Universal Studios spent millions of dollars to create a ride based on Peter Jackson’s “King Kong” remake from 2005, it is strange to see them go in such a drastically different direction.

“Beauty and the Beast” and “T2 Trainspotting” (March 17)

(Courtesy of Walt Disney Productions)

Reaching for drastically different audiences is the remake (get cozy with that word readers) of the 1991 cartoon “Beauty and the Beast” reimagined in live action. The film is set for release the same day as the “Trainspotting” sequel that everyone has been waiting for. The former has to do with a beautiful young woman turning a beast into a tolerable prince, while the latter has to do with young men becoming middle-aged men. You can guess which one is the musical and which one involves drug consumption. 

Courtesy of Sony Pictures Entertainment

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.

A comprehensive map of CSUF campus with bubbles highlighting the crime locations.

Crime on campus in the month of February

Crime activity on campus in the month of February includes a missing person incident, marijuana possession, public intoxication and