Planning commission approves business center

In Local News, News
(Kevin Ley / Daily Titan)

The Fullerton City Council Planning Commission unanimously voted to approve the construction of the Beckman Business Center Wednesday night.

The new 978,000-square-foot business center is located at Harbor and Lambert on a vacant lot where all but the original Beckman Administration Building remains.

The construction will reuse the historic building while creating seven additional buildings of various sizes.

Fullerton Heritage, a nonprofit public benefit corporation, fought to preserve the building that had been built in 1954. They were successful in keeping the Beckman Instruments headquarters building from being demolished.

Fullerton Heritage board member Kate Dalton was pleased with developer LLC ? Western Realco, which worked with her and the community on preserving the landmark that includes the iconic admin building and its fin, as well as the western and eastern courtyards.

The new buildings, on the other hand, stay consistent of the design.
“We’re all about preservation and we’re happy to be preserving the use of this site in addition to preserving the historic Beckman Administration Building, “ Dalton said.

The new center can potentially create 940 new recurring jobs in Fullerton, on top of the jobs generated due to the construction. The complex is geared to allow for general manufacturing, although no actual companies are yet confirmed to occupy the future spaces.

“It is consistent with many goals of the Fullerton plan,” said Heather Allen, Fullerton city consultant. “It helps to produce innovation economy and a revitalization activity that result in community benefits.”

Leo Torrez and Caleb Gibson standing next to each other smiling for 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by CSUF

CSUF Theater Review: ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ delightfully revisits Oscar Wilde’s classic

CSUF’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” lets audiences indulge in Oscar Wilde’s classic, serving up sunny melodrama and mishaps,

Flags are in the background. A silhouette of a soldier faces a person protesting.

OPINION: Israel’s response to weekly border protests was justified

As Israel approaches its 70 years of independence as a democratic Jewish state, it faces a weekly threat from

CSUF musician and student Apollo Hill poses for a portrait on campus.

CSUF student and musician Apollo Hill hopes to lift up Asian-Americans in the music industry

Hip-hop singer and Cal State Fullerton student Paolo Ombao, better known by his stage name Apollo Hill, said it’s