Pop-up shop keeps Daft Punk “Alive”

In Art, Arts & Entertainment, Fashion, Film & TV, Music, Reviews
(Kevin Ley / Daily Titan)

“Daft Punk is playing at my house! My house!”

Actually, not so much playing, besides their Grammy performance, but opening a pop-up store in Hollywood. Like LCD Soundsystem referenced in the song above: When Daft Punk comes around, it’s a big deal.

The robot mask wearing producers’, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter,  pop-up shop will run from Feb. 11 to Feb. 19. The shop shows off a variety of props from throughout their career, as well as an array of merchandise that can be purchased.

Daft Punk has been active in the music industry for the past several years, but their presence when it comes to live performances has been limited. Since their last tour Alive 2007, they have only played live a handful of times, including their performance with The Weeknd at this year’s Grammys and the 2014 Grammys for their album “Random Access Memories,” which received album of the year in 2013.

The pop-up shop is sure to excite fans that have been waiting for Daft Punk to play live again. Although they most likely won’t be performing, their fans who “Get Lucky” enough to make it will find various Daft Punk helmets and wardrobes, rare photos of the band and prints from their anime “Interstella 5555: The 5tory of 5he 5ecret 5tarship.”

Inside of the Daft Punk pop-up shop in Hollywood, a variety of merchandise and sights await fans of the famous group.
(Kevin Ley / Daily Titan)

The helmets and costumes on display span Daft Punk’s career. In a display case by the door helmets from era of Daft Punk’s album “Discovery” can be found. Even showing the wires contained inside. Shoppers can also find mannequins wearing costumes that resemble those worn at the 2013 Grammys “Random Access Memories” performance. In the middle are the instruments used in the music video of “Get Lucky”. On the exact opposite side is the “Human After All” wardrobe.  

Around where the line starts, shoppers can find a corner with a single chair pointed at a small ancient television set that plays Daft Punk videos. Two R.A.M. Edition [email protected] Figurines stand next to the TV. As customers get in line and head to the register, they’ll get an up-close look at the group’s outfits from “Tron Legacy” and the “Human After All” era.

They also have merchandise, but it didn’t come cheap. T-shirts alone cost $90 and higher, while sweaters go as high as $325. Even two decorative tree ornaments of Daft Punk’s signature helmets go for $60. Much of the merchandise there can also be found on their online store.

This rare pop-up experience will give Daft Punk fans something to celebrate about. At the same time, it leaves fans wanting more. Behind-the-scene experiences like this shop are a great opportunity for fans who want something new from the robot DJs. Sadly, it is still not the live tour their fans have been speculating and hoping for in the last couple of years.

They performed at the Grammys Sunday night, but who knows when they will actually play an event fans can attend. Hopefully, they do play again for the masses, at least “One More Time.”
The pop-up is a collaboration with the duo and the Hollywood-based clothing company store Maxfield. The store is located at 8818 Melrose Ave. in West Hollywood. Hours of operation are 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Cal State Fullerton softball shuts out Houston 8-0

Fullerton – Big West Pitcher of the Week Kelsey Kessler pitched an 8-0 shutout to get a win in five

Cal State Fullerton lecturer suspended after altercation with College Republicans club during protest

(Jason Rochlin / Sarah Wolstoncroft) A Cal State Fullerton lecturer has been suspended for striking a student during a

CSU Chancellor Timothy White addresses policies on federal immigration laws in memorandum

(Hayley M. Slye / Micah Augimeri-Lee) CSU Chancellor Timothy White issued a memorandum Wednesday that read “unless otherwise required