Recruiters seek CSUF computer science and engineering students

Titans came dressed to impress with resumes in hand at the annual Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) Career Fair in the Titan Student Union Pavilions Thursday.

Over 700 students attended the career fair. Many waited in long lines to get the chance to talk to potential employers about their post-graduation plans.

Company representatives gave away business cards, company folders, key chains and candy to students that visited their booths.

Events, marketing and social media specialist Krystyl Nottage said the fair is targeted toward engineering and computer science majors but everyone is welcome to attend. She said here were around 30 companies at the event “recruiting for both full-time, part-time and academic and paid internships.”

Some companies in attendance included PepsiCo, City of Los Angeles-Bureau of Engineering, Extron Electronics, Exsilio Solutions, Rapid Manufacturing, AutoCrib Inc., Neudesic, Sully-Miller Contracting Co., and Alcon.

Civil engineering associate Dominick Esposito from the City of Los Angeles-Bureau of Engineering said he graduated from Cal State Fullerton and was hired from an on-campus interview.
“We provide all of the engineering services for the city of Los Angeles,” Esposito said. “We want to recruit people right out of college. We want people to have nice long 30-year careers with the city.”

Travis Clausen, operations manager for construction at Sully-Miller Contracting Co., said the company builds roads, handles asphalt and concrete pavements and underground construction.

“We’re looking for civil engineering students mainly, but I’m open to anything. I just want somebody that’s going to work hard and is willing to learn,” Clausen said. “It’s a great company. I love what I do. My dad worked there for 30 years and (he) just retired. We have some employees that are third generation working in the company.”

Mechanical engineering major Philip Chiu said he visited the career fair to see which companies were in attendance and if there were any opportunities that he could take advantage of.

“I feel like people have a lot of expectations that they want the students to meet. They want the best of the best, so I guess that’s kind of intimidating,” Chiu said. “I think post-grad life is nerve-racking because you’re not fully there yet.”

Arpit Patel, electrical engineering major, said he was not nervous to talk to company representatives because he attended the event last year. He will be graduating in May and is looking to join a company and gain experience.

The Career Center website said students who attend career fairs increase their chances of finding a job or internship and to network with future employers. The ECS Career Fair is held every year in the beginning of February.

“It’s competitive, but we always hear a lot of good stories about people getting interviews and sometimes even jobs from the career fairs.,” Nottage said. “Sometimes it’s cool because the recruiters that are coming back have gotten a job because of the career fair.”

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded