‘Titan Takeover’ gives students field experience

On a warm summer morning, Cal State Fullerton senior Tracey Fisher felt awkward shadowing the Orange County nonprofit Boys Town of California. Five other CSUF students were meant to come, but she was the only one to show up.

Fisher was to meet with Boys Town as a part the Career Center’s “Titan Takeover: Job Shadow Program.” The program will give students an opportunity to see what it’s like to work in a position or industry that they are currently working toward at CSUF.

The Career Center launched “Titan Takeover” in 2016 with 13 companies. This year, 32 companies are participating in the program, which includes a wide range of industries and cities.

Assistant director of Employer Relations Stephanie Reyes helped to create the program with the Career Center.

“It seems to be pretty popular with employers and students as well, so we’ll keep doing it as long as we have the interest from both sides,” Reyes said.

Application submissions for the program are due by Friday, after which the Career Center will begin matching students with jobs. Students will shadow their job for one day over spring break between March 27 and March 31.

Fisher said she was struggling with what to do with her soon-to-be degree in sociology and wanted to learn about the world of nonprofits before submitting her application.

She said she benefited from being the only one who showed up that day because of the questions she was able to ask members of Boys Town. Fisher also had the opportunity to meet foster children at a Boys Town group home during her job shadow.

“What your perception is of these children is completely demolished when you actually meet them because of what Boys Town is doing in their lives,” Fisher said.

Tyler Choi, the organizational outreach specialist at Boys Town, deals with college career centers about opportunities like “Titan Takeover” at CSUF.

“(Fisher) had a lot of questions and through the process, she learned about the different positions and just kind of fell in love with our organization. So she went through the application process just like any other employee would,” Choi said.

Shortly after her day with them, Fisher applied to work at Boys Town and now works at a group home as an assistant family teacher. She said the job has her “acting like a parent” to six children in a nontraditional foster home with a married couple.

Fisher said her experience at “Titan Takeover” and work with Boys Town has taught her so much about the social services field and working with kids with behavioral problems.

“I didn’t go into the job shadow thinking about getting the job with them,” Fisher said. “Honestly, it worked out perfectly.”

CSUF associate history professor Jonathan Markley recounts his grandfather’s experiences in World War I

CSUF associate history professor Jonathan Markley recounted his grandfather Bruce Fowler’s experience serving in World War I at the

CSUF Public Relations Student Society of America to host first annual gala recognizing graduates

The first annual “PRSSA Gala: A Night Among Graduates” will be held Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Scarce affordable housing in Orange County contributes to homelessness

Thousands of homeless people need affordable rental housing in Orange County, but if they want a place in Fullerton,