Trump administration lifts federal guidelines on bathrooms for transgender students

In Campus News, Local News, National News, News
(Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

The Trump administration lifted federal guidelines implemented by the Obama administration that allowed transgender students to enter bathrooms that align with their gender identity Wednesday.

By rescinding these guidelines, the Trump administration allows policies regarding transgender restroom use to determined by individual states and school districts, according to the Associated Press.

Lifting the guidelines has no affect on California, where the law states that all restrooms that are considered “single-occupancy restrooms” have to be designated as “all-gender” rather than “gender-specific.”

At Cal State Fullerton, there have been efforts to ensure that students who identify as transgender are able to use the restroom in single-occupancy spaces. Nine of the 74 single restroom stalls at CSUF have been converted into gender-inclusive restrooms, said LGBT Queer Resource Center coordinator Chris Datiles in an email.

The nine restrooms can be found in the Titan Student Union, the Student Recreation Center, the Health and Counseling center and the Humanities and Social Sciences building, Datiles said. Efforts to convert the other 65 restrooms into gender-inclusive spaces are ongoing.

“We are very confident as a department in making sure that we are supportive of students,” said, Joy Hoffman, director of Diversity Missions and Resource Centers.

As of Wednesday evening, the CSUF administration did not issue an official statement in regard to Trump’s newly passed law.

Obama’s guidelines were not legally binding, but were conditional for federal funding.

Students who are concerned about transgender issues can visit the LGBT Queer Resource Center located in the TSU in room 254. The center is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Datiles said.

“(Gender nonconforming students) can come into the center anytime and talk with any of our student staff or myself,” Datiles said.

Jason Rochlin and Sarah Wolstoncroft contributed to this report.