Why Trump makes sense

(Courtesy of Flickr)

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, according to Newton’s Third Law of Motion. President Donald J. Trump is simply the reaction to the discontent felt by millions of average Americans toward the previous administration; the reason why close to 63 million Americans, including myself, voted for Trump.

For more than a year, people have vociferously voiced their criticism of Trump. Outspoken opposition started when Trump was still a candidate–one who wasn’t taken seriously in the first place–and only grew louder when he became president.

Protesters have expressed on more than several occasions why they refuse to accept that a real estate mogul and television personality has become the leader of the free world. What a lot of these anti-Trump demonstrators failed to understand was the reason why Trump rose into power so swiftly within the Republican primaries and in the general election.

During the eight years of the Obama administration, President Barack Obama’s policies went too far to the left at times, becoming ineffective when real action was needed. This may be why so many voters, some of whom, had backed Obama in the past, according to the Washington Post, opted for the anti-Obama candidate.

The terrorism threat created by ISIS surprised the Obama administration, which underestimated the strength of the group.

It was not until after at least two years of chaos in Syria that the Obama administration intervened with drone strikes, according to the International Business Times. This was too little too late, which is why the Islamic State Group was capable of surviving longer while influencing terror attacks on the West.

Terror attacks in France and Belgium echoed fear in the U.S., and considering the Pulse Nightclub massacre in Florida that happened after, it is no surprise that Trump’s promise to destroy ISIS would be preferred over Obama’s hesitant foreign policy.

In regard to immigration and Mexico, Obama implemented a “catch-and-release” policy at the border, whereby people who crossed the southern border illegally may not be arrested at all.

Illegal crossings were also responsible for three quarters of federal drug sentencing in 2014, according to data from the United States Sentencing Commission.

This caused much concern about border security, especially after a San Francisco woman was killed in 2015 by an illegal man who was released several times under Obama’s watch, as reported by CNN. A more robust border policy was needed.

In regard to overseas immigration, a State Department official from the Obama administration said to NBC that he would raise the number of refugees admitted into the U.S. to 110,000 in 2017. This is a 30-percent increase from 2016 and a 57-percent increase from 2015, according to NBC.

This meant providing housing, education and health services for these asylum-seekers with taxpayer money while more than 1,200 veterans in Los Angeles alone are homeless and still in need of housing in 2017, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Therefore, it is no surprise that many blue-collar workers would want to see that refugee policy reversed. This is aside from the possibility that terrorists may infiltrate the refugee plan in order to enter the United States, like how a refugee from North Africa entered Europe and ended up being behind the Berlin Christmas market, according to The Guardian. In short, a temporary travel suspension on refugees from terror-prone countries is sensible.

Economic policy was the most important issue to American voters in 2016, according to a 2016 Reuters poll.

Even though the Obama administration was successful in creating 11.6 millions jobs, according to CNN, 67 percent of those jobs however, were filled by newly arrived immigrants–both legal and illegal, according to the Washington Post.

Trump’s appeal to “buy American and hire American” led to a higher ratio of voters expressing trust in Trump to improve the economy, according to CNN. Trump’s policy of putting America and Americans first is hardly one that should be deemed xenophobic or racist.

Trump’s messages resonated across the country in places like Grays Harbor County in Washington, which had not voted Republican since 1928.

Understanding why these messages resonated with many voters is key to providing clarity for why Trump’s policies make sense at the end of the day.

Written by, Frederic Aboujaoude, a graduate student majoring in civil engineering at CSUF.

One commentOn Why Trump makes sense

• Martha Althea Webber

It’s actually misleading when you write “67 percent of those jobs however, were filled by newly arrived immigrants–both legal and illegal, according to the Washington Post.” The Washington Post reported this figure but did not research it. That figure comes from a self-published report by the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) – their misleading and often unscientific methods for generating immigration data have been written about elsewhere online (though their website will insist they are non-partisan). For example, external researchers discovered a previous report the CIS released connecting immigrants to a high incidence of criminal detention used vague wording and inaccurate categorization methods in order to produce the high incidence number.

Collecting accurate data on immigration is complex. Academic peer review is a process that allows fellow researchers to vet the methods a researching unit like the CIS uses to ensure that data is accurate and generated according to accepted practices in statistics (and other research methodologies). Why hasn’t the CIS submitted their research to existing academic publications and research venues?

If you want to learn more, I teach source location and evaluation for credibility. I’d be happy to share a list of questions to ask about sources to ensure their credibility before you decide to use them in an editorial or reasoned argument.

This topic is obviously of great importance today with ideas like “fake news” and “alternative facts” circulating.