African-American Studies professor Siobhan Brooks focuses on race in relation to sexuality during Sociology Week talk

In Campus News, Local News, News
CSUF assistant professor of African-American Studies Siobhan Brooks talked about having to balance being LGBTQ and black while maintaining ones identity and mental health Monday. (Priscilla Bui / Daily Titan)

CORRECTIONS: Sheryl Bossard’s name was mispelled and the day of Lisa Wade’s keynote speech was incorrect in a previous version of this article. It was corrected March 9 at 1:34 p.m.

(Maria Ong / Hayley M. Slye)

The Cal State Fullerton sociology department’s Sociology Week kicked off in part with a discussion by Siobhan Brooks, assistant professor of African-American Studies at CSUF. Brooks’ presentation focused on race in relation to sexuality.

“I think it’s important, especially now, because oftentimes when we talk about race, we don’t talk about sexuality, even though they’re very intertwined, and we also don’t talk about black LGBT people at the forefront of race struggles,” Brooks said.

Brooks’ presentation, “Balancing Act: LGBT Black Women, Identity and Mental Health,” was one of several sexuality-focused events that will continue throughout the week.

“There’s almost this sort of illegible racial subjectivity that queer people of color hold where it’s really hard for people to see that you can be your race and you can be queer,” Brooks said in her presentation.

The sociology department and the AKD Sociology Club hosts Sociology Week annually.

“Sexuality is something that tends to be taboo and people don’t want to talk about it, so we thought it would be good to create a discussion among students,” said sociology major and Alpha Kappa Delta Sociology Club social media chair Marlene Carvajal.

Event highlights Monday included a talk by keynote Lisa Wade on her book “American Hookups,” which is about hookup culture on college campuses.

“We all got a copy of her book and we’ve been reading it,” Carvajal said.

Tuesday will feature a discussion on gender-inclusive language by the WoMen’s Center and a talk from Anthony Ocampo called “Brown and Gay in LA.”

“It was important to make sure to bring together people who really know about the topic and can share their insight and information with others,” said AKD Sociology Club Co-President Sheryl Bossard.

The AKD club and sociology department will conclude the week on Thursday with a CSUF alumni panel and mixer and an interactive student discussion.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted