Apple’s newest iPhone scam reveals anti-consumer agenda

(Photo Illustration by Katie Albertson)

It’s official. Considering recent leaks about the latest iPhone, it seems like Apple has finally struck the final nail in its own overpriced coffin. The leaks, according to Forbes, have brought about an anticlimactic and disappointing first impression for Apple’s newest fancy gadget.

Hopefully the business ethic, which Apple promulgates through ridiculous price points that don’t pay off for the public, will finally be found out through this latest venture.

Whether it’s the $1,000 price point or its abandonment of the lightning cable that was considered the most revolutionary cable yet, Apple is shooting itself in the foot every step of the way leading up to the release of this new magical glowing rectangular device.

As Microsoft has steadily expanded its line of Surface tablets, laptops and desktops over the last few years, Apple has finally fallen behind. Maybe it’s time for the monolithic brand to be toppled by a more ambitious competitor that doesn’t abuse its customers’ trust of its brand.

Although it has been five years since the lightning cable’s implementation, the decision to move on to the bigger, better and often less safe USB-C is a foolish one. The USB-C is too new and hasn’t been widely tested on other gadgets. Since their release, knockoff cables have fried entire computer systems, according to PCWorld.com.

There’s no doubt that Apple can pour enough money into research to ensure the safety of its cables, but its outlandish pricing habits wouldn’t change a thing. If the price of its accessories now are any consolation, its USB-C cables would be the perfect target for knock-off brands to imitate and put systems at risk.

Similarly, the price point of the phone itself is outrageous considering Apple’s habits of building technology with a shorter shelf life than most of its competition. The last iPhone was released in the United States in September 2016.

The new iPhone will certainly bring with it a wealth of operating system changes that quickly render the phones of yesteryear obsolete, but this is nothing new. Apple has held this smarmy business practice for years, and consumers have fallen for it every single time, without fail. Customers line up in the wee hours of the morning and wrap around city blocks to get the latest glowing wonder box, but hopefully that will stop soon.

Given the reaction to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7’s price of $880, Apple will definitely feel either financial or media backlash for the ridiculous pricing of this iPhone. The number of people who can afford to throw around $1,000 for a phone–not including overpriced and flamboyant accessories–is significantly smaller than those who could afford the last iteration.

On top of paying $1,000, those who adopt the new iPhone at release will serve as test subjects for Apple’s latest experiment. How much are people willing to pay for these devices with menial improvements? How far can a company get away with offensively anti-consumer business practices?

Hopefully, Apple will learn its lesson and finally begin to understand that its anti-consumer practices can’t be saved by aesthetics much longer. Quality always takes precedence over anything else.

Homeless struggle living on the Santa Ana riverbed

Dozens of the 4,452 homeless people in Orange County are living in tents strung along the Santa Ana River

Indivisible CA D-39 rallied on CSUF campus to support the National Endowment for the Arts

CSUF College of the Arts students performed at a rally Wednesday to encourage Titans to write to their legislators

Fullerton Planning Commission approves amendments to benefit property owners

The Fullerton Planning Commission approved new housing amendments Wednesday regarding Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) in a 4-3 vote. An