ASI Street Team gets students involved in campus leadership

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)
Kaetlyn Hernandez said that one of Street Team’s major goals for this semester is to establish themselves as their own entity.
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Director Kelly Zarate said ASI Street Team has provided a place for her to grow as a human being.

“I’ve been able to work on all my leadership skills and really work on public speaking,” Zarate said. “Through Street Team and all the experiences I’ve had, I’ve been able to get at least a little bit better and be more comfortable with myself.”

Street Team is designed to help students develop leadership skills and learn about how ASI functions. This semester’s team is run by Zarate and coordinator Kaetlyn Hernandez, who both have been through the program themselves. They say the team is also a way to get more involved on campus.

“A lot of people use it for the bonding and making friends and all that kind of stuff,” Hernandez said.  “Almost all of my friends now are Street Team people.”

The team is a division of ASI that meets on Tuesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the TSU Gabrielino. Each week focuses on a different aspect of ASI and student leadership.

“Every meeting, we’ll have some sort of ice breaker and then we’ll announce the upcoming events and from there, it’ll either go into some sort of ASI model … or we’ll have some sort of leadership training where they’ll have the opportunity to learn more about their leadership styles or help work with their public speaking,” Zarate said.

This semester, one of Street Team’s major goals is to establish the team as its own entity, Hernandez said.

“We want to have our own event and have lots of marketing out there to have us more well-known,” Hernandez said.

On April 5, Street Team will be holding a job fair open to all students in which members of ASI will be explaining their roles to students interested in applying.  

“It would be kind of like a speed-dating thing where they’re able to speak to the student coordinators or directors or whoever for 5 to 10 minutes each and just ask questions,” Zarate said.

To bide the time leading up to the fair, Street Team will be having its regular weekly meetings covering leadership training and ASI models.

“I know a lot of what I’m involved in now at school has been dependent on what Street Team has taught me,” Hernandez said.

Zarate and Hernandez said they also hope to have a career center workshop focusing on resume building sometime within the next couple of weeks.

As the meetings go on, Zarate and Hernandez said they have seen the Street Team volunteers blossom and grow as individuals. They become more outgoing with students and other coordinators on campus.
“I’ve seen a few (volunteers) come in and they just didn’t want to talk … but now they’re at every event volunteering. They’re the ones reaching out to people and trying to get things started. They’re the super crazy ones,” Hernandez said. “They’re saying that they’re finding this new place that they wanted to be on campus so it’s like they’re finding their little home and it’s cool.”

CSUF women’s volleyball improves over weekend of conference play

Cal State Fullerton volleyball stretched its losing streak to 10 games over the weekend but was able to find

CSUF women’s soccer ties against UC Davis in physical match

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer earned its first tie of conference play in a 1-1 draw against UC Davis.

CSUF cross country places first and second at Highlander Invitational

Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in first and second place, respectively, Saturday at the