Cal State Fullerton baseball blows out San Diego 9-2 in eighth straight win

Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan

With the Toreros bearing down on the Titans like a raging bull, Cal State Fullerton baseball (15-5) posted five runs late in the game to take a decisive 9-2 lead and extend its winning streak to eight straight games.

After a wild pitch allowed runners to advance to second and third base, freshman Zach Wiesz singled up the middle to drive in Hank LoForte and Chris Hudgins to build on the Titans’ 7-2 lead in the eight. Fellow freshman Zach Weller hit a two-run home to drive in Wiesz with a full count at the plate.

Weller posted three RBIs in two at-bats against San Diego. Weller has only had three plate appearances in the previous 19 games of the season, recording two strikeouts and one walk.

Taylor Bryant, Fullerton’s leading hitter and on-base percentage leader, earned a spot at first after being walked, igniting the Titans’ prolific inning.

Designated hitter and backup catcher Nico Pacheco advanced Bryant to second with a single to left field.

Veteran catcher Chris Hudgins stepped to the plate and ripped a double to left center field, driving in Bryant from second to put Fullerton on the board first. The Titans were not done there as Weller flied out to right field, enabling Pacheco to tag up and score from third.

The San Diego pitchers struggled under pressure, allowing Hudgins to advance to third on a wild pitch. One batter later, right fielder Hunter Cullen who is filling in for Ruben Cardenas due to a lower-back injury that he is day-to-day with, hit a two-run homer to right field to put the Titans up 4-0 heading into the bottom of the second inning.

The Toreros attempted a comeback in the bottom of the sixth inning when Roman Garcia hit a two RBI double down the left field line to score Ryan Adams from second and Jay Schuyler from third to tighten the lead 4-2.

CSUF didn’t panic, showing its experience and composure while adding five more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to seal the deal for the Titans, racking up their 11th win in the last 12 games.

Fullerton proved its worthiness of the No. 5 ranking in the country, according to Baseball America, while thumping the No. 23 team in the country on D1 Baseball’s top-25 list. San Diego is not ranked on Baseball America’s top-25 rankings.

The Titans conclude their nonconference schedule next with a three-game series against Long Beach State and a matchup with UCLA Tuesday night at Jackie Robinson Stadium.