Cal State Fullerton hosts employer panel to give career advice to business students

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Mistakes in the workplace are going to happen to everyone, but a key to success is not making the same mistake twice, said Scott Cooper, a CSUF alumnus who works at AT&T.

Cooper was one of a two-person panel event Wednesday night, which focused on what employers think it takes to succeed in marketing. The event was hosted by the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics.

“Ask (your employer) questions about their culture and what is your review process. One of the things that people get frustrated with, especially going into small businesses, is there may not be a structure within the process. You may not know if you’re doing the job right or wrong,” Cooper said.

Cooper said he graduated from CSUF in 1990 with a degree in marketing.

Fellow panelist Mackenzie Gerber has works as a digital acquisition specialist for The Travel Corporation.

“I chose digital marketing, which wasn’t heavily taught in schools, so a lot of my transition from school to work was a little bit more challenging,” Gerber said. “It was learning more about what was important in a corporate environment and understanding how to present yourself to people who look at you like you’re fresh out of college.”

Dominique Perry, a second-year marketing major at CSUF, felt that she took a lot away from the presentation, notably being accountable and taking responsibility for your mistakes.

“It’s okay to make mistakes and ask for help along the way. Obviously, you’re not going to learn everything here in school. You’re going to learn a lot of it on the job,” Perry said.

CSUF assistant director of Employer Relations Hema Paliwal served as the panel’s moderator.

“We exist solely to provide you with opportunities, information, resources and tools to help you with your career ambitions,” Paliwal said. “My role, specifically, is to work with companies, organizations and alumni to help find ways to get them back on campus or to campus to engage with students.”

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be