Cal State Fullerton softball drops two games to Texas in doubleheader

Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan Stock Photo

After an exciting come from behind extra innings victory the night before, the Cal State Fullerton softball dropped both games of its doubleheader against Texas. The Titans (14-15) only scored a total of one run in both games.

In game one, the Titans were mercied 10-1 in sixth innings with Titan pitchers giving up a combined nine earned runs.

Losing pitcher Trish Parks was wild in her game one start, only lasting 2.1 innings while giving up four earned runs on three walks.

“We got to take out Trish’s walks, we can’t have any walks,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford. “She puts herself in a position there where we can’t afford to give up a hit that turns into three runs and then we’re digging ourselves out.”

Parks ran into trouble in the third, allowing a base hit to Stephanie Wong, hitting Reagan Hathaway, and walking Mickenzi Krpec to load up the bases. The next batter Randel Leahy cleared the bases on a double to put the Longhorns up 3-0 while knocking out Parks from the game.

The Longhorns scored two more in the inning off of Titan reliever Sydney Golden, putting them up 5-0.

Offensively, the Titans could not put anything together against Longhorn starter Tiarra Davis, who who went five scoreless innings while striking out seven and earning her third win.

Texas added onto their lead in the fourth and fifth innings thanks to a Titan error in the fourth that allowed a runner to score and an RBI single by Hathaway in the fifth that put the Titans in a 7-0 hole.

After Texas added three more runs to their lead in the top of the sixth, the Titans were able to score their only run of the day on a Samantha Vandiver single to make the score 10-1 Texas.

Game two was not much better for the Titans, who took a 4-0 loss to Texas while only recording one hit.

“Today we just let the game slip away from us,” Ford said. “With all respect to Texas, they are (an) outstanding team, but we just didn’t play our game. We played very tentative,our pitch selection was just poor today, just poor. All the way around, they outplayed us.”

Texas took over the game early against Titan ace Kelsey Kessler, scoring three off of her thanks in part to three first inning walks.

Kessler was able to shake off a tough first inning and threw her second consecutive complete game, but the Titans’ bats were unable to answer back against the Longhorns. Kessler gave up four earned runs while while taking the loss.

“I think she did a good job,” Ford said. “I’m not saying it’s one of her exceptional performances but it was good enough to win.”

CSUF will look to rebound next on Thursday at 1 p.m., starting an away three game series against the Loyola Marymount Lions (10-14).

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer uses clutch goal from Samuel Goni to tie against UC Riverside

Sporting navy kits under the lights on the pitch for the night, Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer looked to

Steve Bannon met with both disdain and support at Anaheim California GOP convention

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Steve Bannon’s appearance at the California Republican Party convention Friday was part of an attempt to revitalize

CSUF women’s soccer loses to Cal Poly

Despite looking to climb back up the Big West rankings after falling recently, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer was