City of Fullerton departments request funding for projects like street reconstructions from the Community Development Citizens’ Committee

In Campus News, Local News, News
Groups came to request funding for projects like improving the streets between Brookhurst and Basque at the Community Development Citizens' Committee meeting Wednesday. (Katie Albertson / Daily Titan)

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding and city street reconstruction were among topics discussed at the Community Development Citizens’ Committee (CDCC) Wednesday at Fullerton City Hall.

Kevin Kwak, senior civil engineer of the city’s public works engineering department, gave a presentation about a proposed project to improve streets between Brookhurst and Basque, a 0.7-mile stretch that is located in the CDBG area.

The entire proposed projected is expected to cost over $3 million, Kwak said.

“The cost of construction is about $1.1 million just for the street improvements,” Kwak said. “If we were to receive the $300,000 plus, the difference would be made up by public works funding.”

The Public Works Engineering Department also need $1.2 million to improve sewer lines and “a little less than a million dollars” for water line improvements, Kwak said.

Kwak thinks it would be “a good investment for the CDBG to participate.”

Originally, there was not enough funding to reconstruct Euclid to the west city limit. Therefore, the Public Works Engineering Department broke the streets into segments to make improvements as it gets funding, Kwak said.

Housing programs assistant Susana Flores presented the proposed budget for new CDBG funds and explained how the city of Fullerton works to improve the homes of people that qualify for grants.

Fullerton citizens were not present for the public comment section of the meeting.

This meeting followed Monday’s meeting regarding grants for nonprofit organizations.

CDCC member Elizabeth Hansburg proposed to amend the minutes for the Feb. 27 meeting to clarify that Mercy House representative Andrea Garcia asked only Fullerton for community development block grants, not Brea or La Habra.

All members of the committee were in favor of amending the minutes.

At the next CDCC meeting scheduled for March 20, committee members will make funding recommendations for nonprofit organizations and other city programs, Flores said.