CSUF to welcome Laila Dadabhoy and Andrew La as ASI president and vice president for 2017 to 2018 term

Business major Laila Dadabhoy (left) and public relations major Andrew La (right) were voted in as Associated Students Inc.’s (ASI) new president and vice president for the 2017 to 2018 term. The two have experience working in ASI and being involved with other organizations on campus. (Courtesy of Kimani Schumann)

Associated Students Inc. (ASI) will welcome Laila Dadabhoy and Andrew La into its executive office as president and vice president, respectively, for the 2017-2018 term. Students were also voted into positions in the Titan Students Centers Governing Board and the board of directors from each college Thursday.

Dadabhoy and La won with 1,277 votes, which was 56.9 percent of the overall ballot. Brian Miles Garibay and Deborah Ochei followed with 937 votes while candidates classified under “other” received 27 votes, according to the ASI website.

“No words can actually describe how I’m feeling right now,” La said Friday. “I’m just really happy.”

Between the newly elected president and vice president, they have accumulated over six years worth of on-campus experience that wasn’t just limited to ASI, Dadabhoy said. She said this experience gave them a chance to understand how the campus works in different capacities.

Dadabhoy has been involved in ASI, the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics. La has been involved in new student programs, the Sigma Nu fraternity, UNICEF and Camp Titan in addition to ASI.

“We’re both very aware of the different opportunities that are available to students on campus and we want to share this wealth of knowledge that we have been able to acquire with all the students on campus just to improve their Titan experience,” Dadabhoy said.

Because their term doesn’t begin until after the spring semester, La said they will start working on a timeline regarding how their goals will be implemented over the summer.

Dadabhoy said she and La have three “all-encompassing goals” as student government leaders on campus.

Their first goal is to work with the Diversity Initiative Resource Centers (DIRC) to supplement the resources that are already provided for the students through ASI.

“I do recognize that there are students of different backgrounds and other walks of life that may not be getting that kind of support and I want to find ways within ASI to help them with what the university already provides,” Dadabhoy said.

Their second goal is to make ASI more accessible and efficient by making sure students know it is an available resource and that there is a culture of transparency between the organization and the student body, Dadabhoy said.

Finally, Dadabhoy said they want to extend the ASI network to the students. Since Dadabhoy oversaw the Community Engagement Coalition (CEC), she said she wants to use the network she built over the past year and extend it to students who are ready to be involved.

“For us, in particular, (we will be) creating a timeline of how it will look and what we want to do only because we want to be organized and transparent with everyone,” La said.

La also said they will start a student leadership training program over the summer to help acclimate newcomers into becoming ASI student leaders.

“I want ASI to be part of the success of the student,” Dadabhoy said. “I want students to feel like being a part of ASI will have some sort of benefit for them and to make sure they are prepared once they graduate to enter the working world and be prepared academically, socially and professionally.”

La said that all the campaigning that he and Dadabhoy had done was worth it to be able to end up at this point.

“Through everything, through the three weeks that we had of just campaigning, reaching out to people and seeing what people wanted, it was fantastic to see that we are able to lead the new generation of ASI (next year),” La said.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted