CSUF’s Wellfest offered health services and informational materials to students at the Student Health Center

(Amber Hamilton / Daily Titan)

WellFest, the revamped Spring Wellness Fair, offered health services and informational materials to students Wednesday at the Student Health Center.

“The overall purpose of this event is to display the services that are available here. A lot of students don’t realize how many things they are able to access right here on campus,” said TitanWell coordinator Kerri Boyd Crooks.

Crooks said the coordinating team for TitanWell wanted to take an “open-house approach” in displaying the Student Health Center during the event. She said the team decided to move the event from the Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) Lawn, where it was held for over a decade, to the front steps of the health center.

“Students can take a tour of the health center and the providers,” Crooks said. “We have other health screenings (like) BMI, cholesterol, height, weight, blood pressure (and) blood glucose.”

In addition, community partner APAIT tested around 30 students for HIV markers during the event, said APAIT health educator Darby Osnaya. Students received test results within 20 minutes of samples being taken.

Osnaya said he was available to counsel any students after their results were returned.

“One of the great things about having it in the building is I have medical providers. So if there is an abnormal result, we have someone right there that can talk to them and can give them some advice about what to do about that information,” said Student Wellness Center executive director Kathy Spofford. “We try to be inclusive here and safe for everybody, and we are open to suggestions from students.”

Osnaya said students should be tested for HIV every month to six months depending on their personal sexual habits.

APAIT also provides counseling in addition to its HIV prevention efforts, which include offering condoms and education about condom use.

“We are not here to be the condom police. We are here to be the condom fairies,” Osnaya said.

Tables focusing on different student health subjects were set up both outside of the Student Health Center and interspersed inside the hallways. Displays ranged from body image, sleep practices and even animal therapy.

CSUF alumna Daleen Comer of the Animal Health Foundation tended the animal therapy table outside with her dog Macy. Students were encouraged to pet and hug Macy or give her treats. Comer said she observed the effect Macy has on people in previous experiences with taking her to a teen shelter.

“It is just an opportunity to give back to the school that I went to,” Comer said. “It is very much fun for Macy and it is a lot of fun for me. It is a total win-win. There is nothing better than this type of a program.”

Senior criminal justice major Emily Ruiz said she responded well to the services being offered at WellFest.

“It’s a good facility,” Ruiz said. “I hope a lot of students know about this place because they provide so much.”

Spofford said WellFest was a culmination of months of work and planning. The Student Health Center is considering having WellFest come back each semester instead of once a year, she said.

“Doing it in the fall, when new students are on campus, would actually bring them in,” Spofford said. “A lot of times, we have students who graduate and (say), ‘Oh, my God, we had a health center on campus?’ We’re doing our best to get that news out there.”

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted