Polysquad club creates a space for students passionate about 3-D art

( Rendering Courtesy of Enrique Silva )
(Jory Goldbach / Daily Titan)

The Polysquad club gathered around a computer and stared at a model made by David Terry, co-founder of the club. The model was of a sword in a stone that was made to be printed by a 3-D printer. The club then gave critiques to Terry.

“I wanted people who are 3-D artists to not feel like they’re excluded because I love 2-D. I really do, but I don’t feel like 3-D has enough love in our department (visual arts). So I was hoping that this club can bring the other side of people who don’t feel like they can express themselves,” said Deborah Kuan, Polysquad 3-D rendering and design club member.

While other 2-D art clubs on campus focus on traditional art projects like canvas painting and drawing storyboards for animation, Polysquad club is different because it focuses on 3-D art for model figures and video games.

“We didn’t really have a place because there are other art clubs but they’re more 2-D focused and maybe storyboard focus or animation,” Club President Jessica Garriga said. “We thought maybe we’d make a community where we can kind of work together and collab and get better at what we do.”

The club consists of a small group of CSUF students who share a passion for the art of 3-D rendering and design who meet once a month. Garriga created the club last semester along with Kuan and Terry.

“We haven’t done a lot with animation. We feel like the other clubs have that down so they’re usually more animation focused,” Garriga said. “Really the club is just improving our modeling skills and texturing skills and basically being marketable for today’s job market.”

Though the members of the club have the same passion for 3-D art, they all have diverse interests within the medium.

“I’m more interested in games, so mine is more focused in game style. Then we have people who are more into lighting and VR (virtual reality) and those kind of effects and they’ll show their work that’s more detailed and really nice and rendered. It’s really a personal preference, and we just help critique it because it’s fun to do,” Garriga said.

Terry described the group as “small and close-knit,” which helps with the atmosphere of the meetings.

“I think it’s great that we can be able to come together into a room and we all know each other’s name, and there are times that we can look at everybody’s work and give it a critique and feedback,” Terry said.

The Polysquad club has notable goals for the future. They will be having a virtual reality exhibit this April, as well as a virtual reality dinner at a restaurant with “bizarre food themes so it’s like puns in food shape,” Garriga said. Kuan hopes that the group will continue to grow in the coming semesters.

“Hopefully, (we) get more people to come in and share their ideas and share what they’re passionate about,” Kuan said.

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer uses clutch goal from Samuel Goni to tie against UC Riverside

Sporting navy kits under the lights on the pitch for the night, Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer looked to

Steve Bannon met with both disdain and support at Anaheim California GOP convention

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Steve Bannon’s appearance at the California Republican Party convention Friday was part of an attempt to revitalize

CSUF women’s soccer loses to Cal Poly

Despite looking to climb back up the Big West rankings after falling recently, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer was