“Puplo Picasso” provides an afternoon of stress relief through painting and puppies

(Kevin Ley / Daily Titan)

It was a sunny afternoon at the Titan Student Union Courtyard Sunday. More than 40 students painted on 4×4 canvases and had the opportunity to play with puppies while jazz floated in the background for “an afternoon with Puplo Picasso.”

“Painting certainly does help with (de-stressing) and so does petting puppies,” said ASI Productions Sunday Series coordinator Susie Law.

Puppies and Reptiles for Parties supplied the 10 puppies, including yorkies and miniature dachshunds, which students took turns petting. Groups of students were allowed into the pen in intervals to pet the puppies Sophia, Jackson, Abbie, Gus, Gabby, Quinn, Butch, Alexis, Ricky and Rusty.

Jeremy Wilson attended with fellow student Precious Dalieg. They spent the day painting flowers and playing with the puppies. Wilson said they hadn’t attended many of the Sunday events but this one caught his eye.

“Any excuse that (Daileg) gets to see puppies is a good event,” Wilson said.

Jeffrey Liu, senior health science student and event coordinator of CSUF division of Active Minds, attended and collaborated with ASI on the event. Jeffrey Liu said Active Minds knows stress can have many negative effects on students and looks for ways to educate students and prevent stress from damaging their lives.

“We do puppy therapy, we do coloring, we do art, we do painting. All this kind of stuff. These are very good outlets for people to realize the importance of self-care and relax,” Jeffrey Liu said.

Kendra Liu, junior accounting major, volunteered for the event and also regularly attends the ASI Sunday Series. She came early and stayed late to set up and clean. During the event, she found time to paint a picture of a creature resembling the Loch Ness Monster, as well as a picture of her friend for his Twitter account.

Students waited their turn to spend time with the puppies. The puppies were cooperative as Titans cradled them. The dogs ran in circles around students while they rough-housed with their furry friends.

The day ended with the puppies being put back into their kennels and students putting the finishing touches on their paintings. This will be the last Sunday event for a while with the next scheduled one being a screening of “Rogue One” on “Star Wars” day, May 4.

Board of Trustees vote 11-8 to increase tuition across all 23 CSU campuses

(Todd Hadler / Sarah Wolstoncroft) The Cal State University Board of Trustees elicited student outrage Wednesday after it voted

CSUF University Police dispatch center responds to 911 calls within a 1-mile radius of campus

(Ashley Haley / Adriana Hymovitz) The Cal State Fullerton University Police dispatch center may be housed in a 40-by-20-foot

Planned Parenthood and CSUF Students for Life are pro-woman, despite differences

Whether it be out of curiosity, anger or in the spirit of discussion, students interacted with a large display