While Trump may have incited a rise in hate, he’s not the one who can solve problems of racism

(Courtesy of Flickr)

Instead of throwing each hate crime at the doorstep of the president, Americans need to realize that President Donald J. Trump shouldn’t and couldn’t be responsible for solving racism alone.

This problem of racism and hatred being pawned off to Trump to solve is irresponsible. One man is not strong enough to stop such an innate error in our civilization nor is he the cause of it.

Trump has no doubt, been responsible in part for a recent rise in xenophobic, racist acts of hatred in the U.S. and abroad. But, as beat down to the bone as that notion has become, those praying for the president to “stop” racism isn’t helping either.

Trump began his address to Congress on Feb. 28 condemning the acts of hatred committed against Jewish cemeteries and the shooting in Olathe, Kan.

Trump recognized these crimes “remind us that while we may be a nation divided on policies, we are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms.”

This expression was what the public had been asking for, but they still seemed discontent.

Author Anand Giridharadas wrote on Twitter, “Finally. Trump condemns the hatred in Kansas and elsewhere. Finally,” followed by many retweets with responses all tailored to the same frustration as to what took so long for Trump to address this issue.

Not to sympathize with the head honcho, but leading the free world and trying to find the best response to each little question doesn’t seem like a job that can be done so quickly.

Similarly, Slate ran an article Feb. 24 titled “Two Indian nationals were shot by a man yelling racial epithets. The president said nothing. That’s all we need to know about who matters in Trump’s America.”

Surprisingly, Trump did just what the public asked: He recognized the hate crimes that have been committed recently as the very first concern on his speech to Congress, but even then his comments weren’t enough to appease the public.

“Trump’s condemnation of hate crimes doesn’t go nearly far enough,” an article by CNN examines why “a few words of condemnation cannot erase months of President Trump’s own divisive rhetoric.”

If not saying anything is not okay, and saying something is not enough, then there is nothing that Trump can do to appease everyone. If he truly is as ignorant and racist as they say he is, then why ask him to stop anything in the first place?

The worst part comes in the form of an anti-Trump crowd that gathered around the funeral of an Indian engineer killed in the Kansas shooting, according to the Guardian. While it’s important to raise awareness, it’s not proper decorum to do so at a funeral as these hate crimes are almost becoming monetized or glamorized to draw attention.

What’s more concerning is what the widow of the victim said in response to seeing these kinds of crimes being committed around the nation: “I need an answer from the government … What are they going to do?” according to the Guardian.

That’s the big question. What is anyone to do? While recognition by Trump seems to be a good first step, it won’t stop anything.

Consider being in the place of a racist, for the past eight years their lives have been a facade, they’ve been keeping their hate a secret. And just as Trump steps in, they find their hate vilified, but it’s ridiculous to think that this hatred was spawned by him and will go down with his words.

It’s not as if Trump speaking out against hate crimes and racism is going to stop anyone. All it might do is instill some apprehension in some of the racists that were about to do something. But that doesn’t solve anything.

While it’s important to bring awareness to this issue, the responsibility of solving racism shouldn’t be left to Trump, it’s in the hands of the public.

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs