Two Fullerton districts to go up for re-election on 2018 ballot

In Local News, News, Top Stories
In November, Fullerton changed its election process by dividing the city into districts. The switch occured when voters approved a ballot measure in November 2016 that was introduced as part of a settlement to two lawsuits filed against the city which claimed the electoral system discriminated against minority voters. (Courtesy of Fullerton City Council)

The Fullerton City Council will reconsider which districts will be up for the 2018 vote during Tuesday’s city council meeting after residents approved the switch from at-large to district elections last November.

The council decided at its Feb. 21 meeting that district 2, where Councilman Doug Chaffee lives, and District 5, which has no incumbent living there, will be up for the 2018 ballot.

Two lawsuits were filed against the city council regarding the previous at-large electoral system, accusing that it discriminates against minority voter. In July, a settlement was reached that required a change to district-based voting.

All council members are currently at-large seat holders and were not voted for based on districts. When elections occur in 2018 and 2020, members running in each district will have to reside there.

When each district goes up for vote, current city council members can choose to run in the district they live and become a district-based council member. If they decide not to run or lose the district vote, they will remain on city council until their term ends as an at-large member.

If the election dates of the districts change, it could see Greg Sebourn and Jesus Silva running against each other for a district chair. It may also see Silva, Jennifer Fitzgerald and Bruce Whitaker running after winning elections last year.

CSUF Associated Students holds closed election hearings; expert says meetings were illegal

Associated Students violated a California open meeting law over the last two weeks by failing to post agendas for

Titan pitcher Sophie Frost winds her arm ready to pitch to the batter in front of her.

Complete game from Sophie Frost is not enough as Cal State Fullerton softball drops first game of series to Loyola Marymount 3-1

Loyola Marymount’s two-run double in the top of the seventh from outfielder Brooke Christensen helped lift itself over Cal

RAD Instructors pose for a staff photo

CSUF University Police teach students self defense in an attempt curb campus sexual assault

In an attempt to combat the dangers of rape and sexual assault on campus, Cal State Fullerton University Police