Two Fullerton districts to go up for re-election on 2018 ballot

In Local News, News, Top Stories
In November, Fullerton changed its election process by dividing the city into districts. The switch occured when voters approved a ballot measure in November 2016 that was introduced as part of a settlement to two lawsuits filed against the city which claimed the electoral system discriminated against minority voters. (Courtesy of Fullerton City Council)

The Fullerton City Council will reconsider which districts will be up for the 2018 vote during Tuesday’s city council meeting after residents approved the switch from at-large to district elections last November.

The council decided at its Feb. 21 meeting that district 2, where Councilman Doug Chaffee lives, and District 5, which has no incumbent living there, will be up for the 2018 ballot.

Two lawsuits were filed against the city council regarding the previous at-large electoral system, accusing that it discriminates against minority voter. In July, a settlement was reached that required a change to district-based voting.

All council members are currently at-large seat holders and were not voted for based on districts. When elections occur in 2018 and 2020, members running in each district will have to reside there.

When each district goes up for vote, current city council members can choose to run in the district they live and become a district-based council member. If they decide not to run or lose the district vote, they will remain on city council until their term ends as an at-large member.

If the election dates of the districts change, it could see Greg Sebourn and Jesus Silva running against each other for a district chair. It may also see Silva, Jennifer Fitzgerald and Bruce Whitaker running after winning elections last year.

Church gives back to homeless community

Differences in city and shelter codes pose conflict for homeless in OC

Homeless individuals in OC confuse respective city codes and best practice procedures within shelters, said Curtis Gamble, a 58-year-old

A map of sanctuary cities in California

California remains a sanctuary state

On Aug. 1 the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision found that President Donald Trump’s January 2017 executive

Tau Kappa Epsilon members

Fraternity TKE looking to return to campus after 20 years

In 1998, the Cal State Fullerton chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity received several different complaints including someone firing