Cal State Fullerton tennis picks up 16th win in victory over Cal Poly

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team split its weekend series, losing to UC Santa Barbara Saturday before defeating Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Sunday.

UCSB
The Titans lost their second game of the season Saturday, falling 4-1 on the road against UCSB.

Despite it being only the Titans’ second loss of the season, the defeat was a costly one as it was their second in the Big West Conference.

CSUF started the match off on the right foot, securing the doubles point which the Titans have not lost yet this season.

Seniors Camille De Leon and Alexis Valenzuela clinched the doubles point after beating the 46th-ranked team of Melissa Baker and Palina Dubavets by a score of 6-4.

However, that was the Titans’ only point of the day as the Gauchos swept the Titans in singles play.

Portalatin defeated Jaimee Gilbertson, 6-3, 6-4, with Stefani Stojic beating Nuno, 6-3, 6-3. Nuno and Portalatin beat Stojic and partner Amanda Atanasson (6-4) in doubles play.

UCSB clinched the day with two more victories in singles play. Atanasson defeated sophomore Masako Makiba, 6-3, 6-4, while Baker beat junior Danielle Pham, 6-1, 5-7, 6-0.

The matches of CSUF’s top two singles players, De Leon and Valenzuela, went unfinished.

This loss was the Titans’ 18th straight defeat at the hands of UCSB since 2000.

Cal Poly
CSUF was able to save the weekend by eking out a victory against the Cal Poly Mustangs 4-3.

Once again, the Titans were able to start the day off one point ahead by winning the doubles point. De Leon and Valenzuela won their 11th straight doubles match with a 6-1 win over Molly Reed and Seriana Saltzen.

The Titans then jumped to an early three-point lead with singles victories by Pham (6-0, 6-4) and Makiba (6-3, 6-1).

The Mustangs did not let up and came roaring back to tie the Titans with three straight singles victories. De Leon (6-2, 6-3), Nuno (7-5, 6-1) and Portalatin (6-2, 7-6) all lost in straight sets to their Cal Poly counterparts.

However, Valenzuela came through for the team and clinch the victory in three sets against Susanne Boyden (6-4, 4-6, 6-4).

The Titans are now 16-2 overall with a 4-2 conference record. The team is just one win away from tying the program record of 17 wins they set last season.

With just three games left, the Titans will look to break that mark and keep afloat in the Big West when they face Cal State Northridge April 15.