Cal State Fullerton softball looks to improve Big West Conference record against Hawaii

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

After a road loss Tuesday night, Cal State Fullerton softball (23-19) will look to further improve its conference record with a three-game series against Hawaii beginning Friday at Anderson Family Field.  

Fullerton’s last game was a 7-3 loss to No. 13 UCLA in which a usually reliable Titan pitching staff got lit up for seven earned runs in six innings pitched.

Offensively, the Titans never got anything going against Bruin pitching, scoring two runs in the seventh inning when the game was already out of reach.

With its loss against the Bruins, Fullerton’s three-game winning streak was snapped and its road record dropped to 11-2. In contrast, the Titans are 8-12 at Anderson Family Field.

The Titans will look to improve their home record against Hawaii (25-15), which has a 4-5 record in conference, ranking sixth in the Big West. CSUF is second in the Big West with a conference record of 6-3.

Hawaii has not won back-to-back games in its last nine contests.

The Rainbow Wahine sport a healthy home record of 23-10 but is 0-3 on the road. Last year, Hawaii was a combined 24-30 and only 8-13 against Big West opponents, which was good for seventh in the conference.

Several Hawaii players sit atop Big West leaderboards.

Junior pitcher Brittany Hitchcock is tied for second in the Big West in wins with 16 and third in ERA at 1.73. She is also second in strikeouts at 133.

Dana Thomsen is ranked ninth in the Big West in ERA at 2.45 and has 89 strikeouts in 80 innings pitched.

Nicole Lopez, Heather Morales and Sarah Muzik are all within the top 15 in Big West batting average. Lopez sits at .339 with 11 home runs and 28 RBIs, Morales is hitting .336 with 28 RBIs and Muzik is hitting .341.

Last year, Fullerton won the season series against Hawaii, sweeping the Rainbow Wahine in three games on the road while outscoring them 16-2 in 21 innings.

The Titans will begin their three-game series against Hawaii Friday at 6 p.m. at Anderson Family Field before finishing with a doubleheader Saturday.

CSUF women’s volleyball improves over weekend of conference play

Cal State Fullerton volleyball stretched its losing streak to 10 games over the weekend but was able to find

CSUF women’s soccer ties against UC Davis in physical match

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer earned its first tie of conference play in a 1-1 draw against UC Davis.

CSUF cross country places first and second at Highlander Invitational

Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in first and second place, respectively, Saturday at the